Print Page | Close Window

I Decided On Dermals. (:

Printed From: BodyMod.org
Category: Body Mods
Forum Name: Aftercare Q&A
Forum Discription: Post your questions or thoughts on Mod aftercare here.
URL: http://www.bodymod.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20907
Printed Date: June/25/2022 at 3:40am

Topic: I Decided On Dermals. (:
Posted By: kaityseabrook
Subject: I Decided On Dermals. (:
Date Posted: October/03/2011 at 11:18pm
I recently posted a topic in piercings about surface bars on my sternum and chest. Talking to my piercer, I have decided on dermals. :D

Wednesday I'm getting my sternum dermal, then the following Friday, I'm getting the two chest dermals.

Any tips would be appreciated. <3

-------------
Freaks are poetry. Love us for who we are, not what we look like.

Replies:
Posted By: evalution
Date Posted: October/04/2011 at 9:04am
you might want to call them dermal anchors..

depending on how low your sternum piercing is, bras may be your best friend for a bit. i have 3 dermal anchors on my sternum, and i was pretty much glued to my bra the first week they were in. the weight of boobs (especially if you normally sleep on your side or your stomach) can be rather uncomfortable at times. that might also be a suggestion to try sleeping on your back, though i'm sure that could be uncomfortable for some people as well..

Posted By: abcashleyd
Date Posted: October/04/2011 at 1:29pm
I have 11 dermals on my chest. I used to have surface piercings, but the clavicles go infected and the sternum rejected.

The biggest thing it to follow the proper after care and matienence, it's goign to be tempting to want to touch them, but try not to for as long as you can (accept for when you clean them.) As long as you take care of them, they'll stand up much longer.

Date Posted: October/04/2011 at 2:21pm
Dermals, microdermals, dermal anchors, dermal anchors...if my piercer knows what I mean, the name of the modification is not important.

I've decided for my sternum piercing to go right at the top of my cleavage, so it may not even be considered a sternum piercing anymore lol. Because I do usually sleep on my side and I didn't want sweat to build up and cause infection regardless of caretaking.

-------------

Posted By: jod806
Date Posted: October/04/2011 at 7:39pm
Dermal Anchors because Dermal refers to any part of the skin. Maybe you and your piercer don't care about terminology but if you haven't noticed yet it's a practice on these forums to call piercings/jewlery/mods by their correct terminology...so in that regards it is important. Hell calling something by it's correct name is important so that when communicating everyone's on the same page.

If you're worried about rubbing or sweat you can always cover it while you sleep; one of my clients has large breast and when she moves to her side they push against her piercing. She tried just using a bandage but even then her breast would actually cause the jewelry to be slightly pushed by pushing over the rest of her skin in the area. The best solution she's found so far is to place a small pillow between her breast to keep them separated while she sleeps and rolls from side to side...sleeping on her back is fairly uncomfortable for her, so this is the best option.

So if you do decide to go lower that's something you may want to think about doing as well.

-------------
SINcerely,

Juan

http://juanduran.net - Website
http://facebook.com/jod806 - Facebook

Date Posted: October/04/2011 at 9:57pm
Well I'm not the most well endowed of females. Hah. So that's not going to be much of an issue, however, I tend to sleep on any fresh piercings, not sure why though. Also, I tend to sweat in my sleep which arises more concern.

-------------

Date Posted: October/05/2011 at 12:08pm
You're own sweat isn't nearly as bad as you'd think, I mean yes it's still not ideal but it's not as infection prone if it's your own.

-------------
SINcerely,

Juan

Posted By: mspiggy
Date Posted: October/05/2011 at 4:51pm
I have a few clients whose sweats change the color of the dermal anchor's gemstone. Just FYI :)

-------------
Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean

Posted By: MrJonz
Date Posted: October/05/2011 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by mspiggy

I have a few clients whose sweats change the color of the dermal anchor's gemstone. Just FYI :)

Just out of curiosity, what company are you getting your gem's from mspiggy?? That sounds like a reaction to the (probable) foil backing?

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 1:53pm
Is there any set number of times I should clean them? I figure once in the morning, once at night, and once during the day.

-------------

Posted By: mspiggy
Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by MrJonz

Just out of curiosity, what company are you getting your gem's from mspiggy?? That sounds like a reaction to the (probable) foil backing?

I got my dermal anchor jewelries from http://microdermal.com/ - http://microdermal.com/

-------------
Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean

Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by kaityseabrook

Is there any set number of times I should clean them? I figure once in the morning, once at night, and once during the day.

You should clean/irrigate them as often as your body needs it. If there's more discharge, more; if less, then less. Usually about 3-4 times a day. Warm saline soaks are highly recommended for daily cleaning, but you are going to have to 'baby' these piercings pretty much for however long you choose to have them, as they are known to be much more problematic for clients to 'fully' heal.

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 7:46pm
I'm getting the five dermal anchors tomorrow. Wish me luck! (: Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Feel free to post more. <3

-------------

Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 8:06pm

Originally posted by MrJonz

I got my dermal anchor jewelries from http://microdermal.com/ - http://microdermal.com/

Right. I would suggest Anatometal or Intrinsic's Precision Surf tops, as they don't use foil backing in either.

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 8:23pm
Can anyone tell me anything about changing the tops of an anchor?

-------------

Posted By: evalution
Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 8:57pm
lots of changing usually isn't very nice to the piercing.
you will also probably need some help from your piercer. i've only had mine changed by my piercer (and only on very few occasions). in my experience, tops tend to like to stay on.

Posted By: SolidOak
Date Posted: October/06/2011 at 9:07pm
//

Date Posted: October/07/2011 at 2:36am

Can anyone tell me anything about changing the tops of an anchor?

Generally, yous should choose the 'tops' of the anchors you're most pleased with, as changing them too often/soon will most likely only complicate the healing of the anchors. If you really are insistent on changing out the gemmed ends, I generally tell the majority of my clientele to wait at least 4-6 months until that point. If done prior to that, the likely-hood of the base (foot) of the jewelry shifting inside of the skin is much more likely, and in-turn, would irritate the anchors overall as well.

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:00pm
I'm getting them today. I didn't think I could change them often but I've seen some star tops I want to purchase after the initial gem then I will probably stick to those. My piercer told me to see her when I wanted them changed. I just didn't know if it was something I could do on my own.

-------------

Date Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:17pm
It's always best to have the piercer themselves switch out the tops for anchor piercings. Much less likely for issues to occur.

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Posted By: Cale
Date Posted: October/07/2011 at 7:54pm

..and I didn't want sweat to build up and cause infection regardless of caretaking.

Sweat and dirt build up around the stem is a common problem with anchors and can happen on any part of the body.

-------------
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
http://www.facebook.com/piercingbymisscale - facebook.

Date Posted: October/07/2011 at 11:59pm
I had them done. My piercer told me one or two may be in need of a replacement due to too much blood. No salt soaks due to water build up.

-------------

Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 6:39am
//

Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 12:38pm
The paper I received from my piercer says water can get into and cause swelling and push it out.

-------------

Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 12:53pm
What do they mean there was too much blood? That doesn't make any sense. Sometimes they bleed a LOT and it happens. Also, sea salt soaks are important during healing, and they do not cause swelling or push out your piercing. 

-------------
Miss Cale

Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 12:55pm

My piercer told me one or two may be in need of a replacement due to too much blood.

Just saying, this sounds like it could be an inexperienced piercer that did anchors improperly and is blaming it on the bleeding.

-------------
Miss Cale

Posted By: Uraniumhobo
Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 1:08pm
id find a better piercer

-------------
Ah ha-ha, chess. The ancient contest of wits. Two opponents: mano a mano. Braino a braino. And look: magnets for ease of travel. You could play chess on the moon.

Posted By: ZombiePhlegm
Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Uraniumhobo

id find a better piercer

+1

-------------

The Unbreakable!

Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 11:40pm
Not everyone's skin is the same. Her portfolio and reputation is as good as anyone else's. My fifth dermal just bled more than the other four. The aftercare sheet I was given says to not apply any water or salt soaks onto a healing dermal.

-------------

Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 11:50pm
Anyway.

Today, I changed bandaids and cleaned off any excess build up. One is bruised and the other four just look like fresh wounds, considering that's what they are. I didn't see any abonormal redness or discharge. Nothing seems to be trying to push out. So I suspect all will go well.

-------------

Date Posted: October/08/2011 at 11:52pm
A final note to the inexperienced piercer comment, I doubt that three would go successfully then two be mishaps due to inexperience, merely just bad placing or too much on the body at once.

-------------

Date Posted: October/09/2011 at 12:07am
these daus if your a piercer thats all it takes to have a good reputation, but the fact about no sea salt soaks is very sketchy, and if 3 are fine and 2 are mishaps frpm bad placing or too much at once thats something a good piercer tends to avoid, most reputable piercers will be careful about overloading the body, and will always take placement into consideration. As for the portfolio a lot of people these days will pick and choose as to whats portfolio worthy or not and when it comes to inexperienced piercers you dont get to see that in a portfolio for the most part unless they ae just that bad

-------------
Ah ha-ha, chess. The ancient contest of wits. Two opponents: mano a mano. Braino a braino. And look: magnets for ease of travel. You could play chess on the moon.

Date Posted: October/09/2011 at 2:54am
I agree. With the few statements made here off of the aftercare sheet and what the piercer has said, reputation or not, her information isn't completely accurate. To say that saline rinses and water cause swelling and push anchors out of the skin is silly. Bad placement and too many anchors at once are both faults of the piercer, and any experienced piercer would take all aspects of placement and what is safe for the client into consideration.

-------------
Miss Cale

Date Posted: October/09/2011 at 2:34pm
//

Date Posted: October/09/2011 at 3:13pm
How the hell does a sea salt soak cause swelling?

-------------
SINcerely,

Juan

Date Posted: October/10/2011 at 10:18pm
The water gets in the pocket and swells up. Ever heard of water weight? It's the same idea.

Anyway. I used a solution and cleaned around my dermals. They're all fine. Bruised but fine. I thought the middle dermal was rejecting. It's fine.

So. Feel free to comment for anyone else who has questions. I no longer need the post. (:

-------------

Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 12:35am
dont be a smart ass, yea we know what water weight is but the pocket shouldnt be that big

-------------

Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 2:28am
Gee, let's see. You're still referring to them as 'dermals', even after calmly explained why that is incorrect. You defend the person who did your piercings, more than likely for no other fact than they did them for you, without really knowing what proper aftercare should entail. You think sweat can cause infection. You're taking your piercer's aftercare sheet as the end all/be all and completely disregarding any further assistance. You THINK, her reputation is just as good as anyone's, without being able to back that up with ANY type of real proof. You believe that water and sea salt soaks are negative aspects when it comes to aftercare for anchor piercings (because she said so). You've made multiple excuses for your piercer's "advice". And, you think that only after 5 days of getting your anchor piercings, they're all "fine", without any potential complications.

How do I put this...........you're WRONG!! Anchors take MONTHS to (more-so) fully 'heal', and even then, they can STILL have flare-ups/complications, tilt, start rejecting, etc. Did you actually do any prior research on choosing your piercer who did these on you, or was it just the person who most appealed to your mentality? Do you have ANY kind of understanding of wound healing in the least, or is it all just her word MUST know best?

I'm NOT stating that "I", am the ultimate enforcer when it comes to advice, but you've pretty much done nothing but disregard most people's advice (of whom are Well more knowledgeable than you (and possibly your piercer)) when it comes to said piercings, and just backed up her word more than anything. If you wish for (most) anyone here to take you seriously, I'd would really think about changing your immediate mentality, and actually read/do research on what has been done to your body, rather than take ONE person's word over all others, just because they're the one who performed your piercings.

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 3:08am
Hehehe. :)

-------------
Miss Cale

Posted By: GracefulDancing
Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 8:58am
Why do people even post these kinds of threads if they're going to ignore everything everyone says?

Any piercer who says saline is bad for a piercing needs to go back to being an apprentice for a while imo. I mean its bad enough that so many piercer suggest soap for healing piercings, but to actually tell a client that a saline cleanse or rinse is going to be harmful? :/

Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 1:34pm
She said sea salt SOAKS were not what I needed, and that I will be using a sea salt SOLUTION on a QTIP to clean the dermals. I call them dermals because I use a cell phone and don't want to type out two words that mean the same thing, imo. Also, she said that SOAKING the dermals were bad.

ANYWAY. I posted a picture if you'd like to go and critique them. They look as good as any of the others. I made no excuses. I told you what was said to me. After twelve piercings and seeing all of my other friends piercings heal, I think I would know what a healing hole would look like. Also, for the record, Spartanburg has only 4 parlors. 3 of which are incredibly shady and the one I go to who has yet to see a rejected piercing come out of their shop.

Now, everyone I know from where I'm from calls them dermals. So how about getting off my nuts on that one? As well as, I see no proof that you are actually a legitimate professional piercer. Now. I will be as I am, who I am, and trust my body as well as my head. Both of which says my DERMALS are fine and that my piercer knows what she is doing. I have listened to everything here.

My thought on sweat causing infection was a question. If you read, you'll notice I wasn't sure. SO thank you. Have a nice day.

-------------

Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 2:25pm
first off, half the things you say you seem to get defensive about by giving us lack of information, you said that she said no sea salt soaks or water build up, now its okay if you use a q-tip and soaks are still bad, but actually there better in my opinion, soaking will actually soften the build up around the stem/rise of the anchor and then using a q-tip will be more useful and less irritating, soaking will also help draw out any dirt/oil buildup in surrounding pores instead of just smudging them around with a q-tip (correct me if im wrong) ovversoaking is bad, but thats just common sense

its still too early to tell wether they last or not so honestly the picture will mean nothing for now

everyone calls stretching gauging, everyone calls an off center lip piercing snake bites and so on, to me that shows what kind of profesionalism you have, dont want to change? fine but dont get mad when we get irritated by improper or just out right stupid terminologies

just because you have one good shop isnt an excuse for good work, you should be looking for a great shop for great work and sometimes you might have to do a little traveling so thats not an excuse, we have people who travel overseas to get things done by the best of the best, and sometimes the best of the best will travel to you for the right price, im not saying shell out thousands and fly overseas for dermal anchors, but atleast do your research, compare shops, look around surrounding towns, the general public knows squat when it comes to in depth knowledge on piercings

-------------

Posted By: ZombiePhlegm
Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 3:24pm
Wow. all of 12 piercings. I mean, it's not like piercers see thousands of them over the course of their careers and of course just watching a piercing heal is the best way to understand how it heals. suuuure.

Take a look at the people you're talking too. 4 of the people in this thread are proffesionals. If 4 pro's from different parts of your country are all telling you the same thing, each of them with experience to perform microdermal anchors don't you think it would be best to take their advice on board?

As for the dermals arguement. There are microdermals and there are skin divers. They are two different forms of single point piercing. The terminology "dermals" does not specify either. Different advice is given depending on the different jewelry types. THAT is why you should specify what you have had done, it helps to stop the spread of misinformation.

-------------

The Unbreakable!

Date Posted: October/11/2011 at 3:44pm
You see no proof I'm a professional piercer eh?? Clearly you've never taken the time to look at my portfolio on here, or my journal entries. So, let me break it down for you there hun:

8 month apprenticeship
Fakir Intensive Basic Body Piercing Course Training: Nov 2007
Fakir Intensive Basic Branding Course Training: Jan 2008
Fakir Intensives Advanced Piercing Course Training: Aug 2008 (less than 100 people WORLDWIDE have taken the advanced course, and they don't just let anyone in)
Course Training under Steve Haworth for the following:
Surface to Surface Piercing, Laser Branding, and Genital Beading. June 2008
Full day tutorial session under Wayde Dunn on how to perform (and care for) scarification: June 2009
APP conference attendee of main conference and course training for the past 2 years (2010,2011)

Also certified under the American Red Cross for First Aid, CPR, and Bloodborne Pathogens (renewed annually)

I take my profession incredibly seriously, and have done most all I can to further my education in this field, and will continue to do so until my body wont allow me to do what I love anymore. Does every piercer have to go through the training I have to be deemed 'professional'?, nope, but it sure as shit doesn't hurt. Why don't you ask the Number of people, from this site alone, that I've performed modifications on, if they think I'm a professional piercer/body mod artist. You may be surprised, but probably not with your mentality.

As far as proper terminology, Uraniumhobo, and all others have pretty much said it already. You want to stay that ignorant? Enjoy. But next time you want to question my professionalism and dedication for this industry, I suggest you just STFU instead. "Have a nice day."

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: October/12/2011 at 3:33am
I'm not gonna argue, but for your plight of not typing two words through the phone and just use one, why not use anchor in place of dermal? Dermal is skin. Anchor is a surface piercing. :)

-------------
Miss Cale

Print Page | Close Window