Forum Discription: Movie reviews and such
URL: http://www.bodymod.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20294
Printed Date: November/27/2021 at 6:16am

Topic: Beastly
Posted By: metalbabe
Subject: Beastly
Date Posted: April/20/2011 at 6:20pm
I found this rather offensive.

I actually love the Beauty & The Beast story and tend to want to watch every interpretation of it... but this, is plain wrong. The 'genius' behind this is pretty much stating that we, the modified community, are gruesome beasts.

-------------

Perplexing people since 1986

Replies:
Posted By: Jack Crrack
Date Posted: April/20/2011 at 6:31pm
Nothing new there then.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/hashmccarrack - My music

Posted By: pixiepop
Date Posted: April/20/2011 at 6:34pm
He's way hotter once he is 'beastly' :-D

Posted By: metalbabe
Date Posted: April/20/2011 at 6:40pm
Jackie, aye, this feels like a thousand steps back though, considering there has been progress in successfully portraying body modification under a positive light in the most recent years... back to stereotyping.

-------------

Perplexing people since 1986

Posted By: Keiran1980
Date Posted: April/20/2011 at 7:00pm
I saw an interview with the actor today and it had various clips of the film.

It looks like a weak film, much worse than the excellent Jean Cocteau version from 1946. 

The idea that some tattoos and a shaved head as a magical curse to make someone look like a monster is equally pathetic and offensive.

-------------
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson

Posted By: merrry
Date Posted: April/20/2011 at 10:01pm
stupid!

He doesn't look Beastly at all

-------------
AKA: The Queen Of Hugs, Naughty Girl Extraordinaire, Merrrypoppin, Merrry Contrary and Sunshine. I'm also Proud To Be A Persnickety Bitch!

Posted By: xjessiex
Date Posted: April/21/2011 at 12:24am

i'm not offended at all...its hollywood. its not like he went out and purposefully got them in the movie- if something like that was forced on me against my will i'd feel pretty fucking ugly too.
choice is a pretty big aspect of anything in life.

-------------
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."

Posted By: ZombiePhlegm
Date Posted: April/21/2011 at 1:37am
Still, it's a movie aimed at the Twilight Demographic, which is children, that portrays a group of people in a negative light. Considering the "pierced and tattooed" outlook of a lot of Twihard's it's easy to see that this movie is an attempt to discourage children from modification because it is "beastly".

There would be uproar if that film had be centred around a man being turnt Black.

-------------

The Unbreakable!

Posted By: Keiran1980
Date Posted: April/21/2011 at 3:04am
Originally posted by ZombiePhlegm

There would be uproar if that film had be centred around a man being turnt Black.

Have you seen the Monty Python where everyone is turned into Scotsmen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDJMn-534Y - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDJMn-534Y

-------------
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson

Posted By: xjessiex
Date Posted: April/21/2011 at 4:44am

lol- i don't get the likening being pierced to being black, getting a bodymodification is a choice.

even if they made the kid extra hairy i dont think they could make him 'beastly' to me:P what, then you'll cry about how making him extra hairy to look ugly is offending hairy people??

i think saying because the movie will reach its target audience and teach them that mods are ugly, that kids will actually believe that is a load of crap. there will always be people who need to put others down to make themself feel good, but really you have to give people the choice to make up their own mind from experience- and the majority of people i know do learn from experience, not hollywood.

-------------
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."

Posted By: merrry
Date Posted: April/21/2011 at 4:54am
After going to the "Beastly" website, it looks like he is tattooed and  scarred, possibly from a burn. It's based on some Tween book. A little different. Ishe ugly? Not particularly, but then he isn't that pretty either...

-------------
AKA: The Queen Of Hugs, Naughty Girl Extraordinaire, Merrrypoppin, Merrry Contrary and Sunshine. I'm also Proud To Be A Persnickety Bitch!

Posted By: Jack Crrack
Date Posted: April/21/2011 at 9:05am
I think you're overlooking the intended moral of the story.
This film can actually be seen as pro modification.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/hashmccarrack - My music

Posted By: JustASinner
Date Posted: April/22/2011 at 2:38am
With her falling for the guy towards the end I could almost see it as a "love people despite their appearances" type of movie which would aid us in the modded community.

Posted By: SourMouse
Date Posted: April/22/2011 at 5:22am
Can I just say... this movie looks fucking terrible. Subtext aside, this is just a plain idiotic idea for a film. I couldn't even make it through the halfway mark of the trailer.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=594395838 - Mouse has 'da Facebook

Currently: S4lem, and getting prepped for birthday weekend.

Posted By: ZombiePhlegm
Date Posted: April/22/2011 at 7:33am
Originally posted by xjessiex

lol- i don't get the likening being pierced to being black, getting a bodymodification is a choice.

Lets not turn this into that.

In this case the modification wasn't chosen it was something that he was forced into, in the context of the movie he could have quite easily been turnt black and still have been considered "beastly"

@Kieran,

I've not seen that sketch! For some reason my Youtube isn't working at the moment so I can't watch.

-------------

The Unbreakable!

Print Page | Close Window