Print Page | Close Window

I Have These Strange White Bumps in My Tattoo...

Printed From: BodyMod.org
Category: Body Mods
Forum Name: Tattoos
Forum Discription: Stories, studio suggestions, questions, etc.
URL: http://www.bodymod.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17490
Printed Date: June/30/2022 at 12:14pm

Topic: I Have These Strange White Bumps in My Tattoo...
Posted By: anathematized_1
Subject: I Have These Strange White Bumps in My Tattoo...
Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 2:56pm
I thought they might be zits or something because they're white, but they don't pop.  They are really small too, and slightly raised.

What could have caused them?

All the aftercare I did was the same as I did with all my other tattoos and they turned out fine.  Triple antibiotic ointment for about a week at least once per day and lotion three times per day, wash with soap once per day, gently, in the shower - patted try.

I originally got this tattoo at the end of September - these bumps just started showing up in the past month.

I guess I have a few questions...

Is it scarring?  Did I do something wrong in my aftercare?  Is it the tattoo artist's fault?  What the hell is it anyway?

I know it's hard to see, but here is a picture - I circled some of the bumps I'm talking about.  You can see they're very small, I wish I had a better camera so I could zoom in and/or get more detail out of it.

-------------
Sardonicus - http://sardonicmisanthropia.wordpress.com/ - Sardonic Misanthropia

Fuck you t('.'t)

Replies:
Posted By: freetobeme
Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 3:14pm
I'm not sure, but by your description, they sound like they are ingrown hairs trying to resurface!?

-------------

Posted By: felonious drunk
Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 4:42pm
TATTOO  HERPES  STRIKE  AGAIN !!!

-------------

Posted By: kcir
Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 5:07pm
you've either got too much ointment on it (clogging the pores) or a staph infection.  if your skin isn't burning up and super itchy then it's probably to much ointment.  wash your skin with hot water and antibacterial soap vigorously to remove all the mixture from your skin and re-apply 1/4 of what you were applying before.

-------------
http://www.cutinto.me">

Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 5:11pm
I use too much ointment as well,
and this usually happens.

In fact, rick,
You have one on your hat right now.

-------------

Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 5:23pm
wash my hat, asshole.

-------------

Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 6:53pm
Switching to lotion

-------------

Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by kcir

you've either got too much ointment on it (clogging the pores) or a staph infection.  if your skin isn't burning up and super itchy then it's probably to much ointment.  wash your skin with hot water and antibacterial soap vigorously to remove all the mixture from your skin and re-apply 1/4 of what you were applying before.

Oh no these showed up long after I was done using the ointment.  I only used that stuff for the first month, these came up a month after my tattoo healed.

-------------

Fuck you t('.'t)

Date Posted: December/15/2009 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by anathematized_1

Oh no these showed up long after I was done using the ointment.  I only used that stuff for the first month, these came up a month after my tattoo healed.

are you putting anything on it?  are they hard bumps or soft pus-filled ones?  is the area around the tattoo affected or just the tattoo?

-------------

Posted By: metalbabe
Date Posted: December/16/2009 at 6:13am
could it be just dry skin?

-------------

Perplexing people since 1986

Posted By: isellmisery
Date Posted: December/16/2009 at 6:26am
ive got the same, but i had marks like that before i had the tattoo, apparently its bad circulation, tho to me it looks like permanent goosebumps..

-------------
Two cups of tea
one for you and one for me.
two dead police
one for hope and one for peace.

Posted By: heatherfeather
Date Posted: December/16/2009 at 10:27pm
those actually sound like what I have on my arms....I don't have a tattoo, but the description is dead on....

I went to my doctor and she said it was some fancy long word with a latin base which pretty much meant...
     condition in which the skin is no longer able to get rid of its dead skin,  so it builds up and creates those white bumps, sometimes they can be a little redish, but they aren't pimples...my doctor gave me this ointment to help the condition...

Are you sure it is tattoo related or could it possibly just be on your tattoo?

Date Posted: December/17/2009 at 9:27am

Originally posted by anathematized_1

are you putting anything on it?  are they hard bumps or soft pus-filled ones?  is the area around the tattoo affected or just the tattoo?

No, I'm not putting anything on it.  I did manage to pop one, they are kind of hard.  I think it's like he said - ingrown hairs.

-------------

Fuck you t('.'t)

Date Posted: December/17/2009 at 9:29am
Originally posted by heatherfeather

those actually sound like what I have on my arms....I don't have a tattoo, but the description is dead on....

I went to my doctor and she said it was some fancy long word with a latin base which pretty much meant...
     condition in which the skin is no longer able to get rid of its dead skin,  so it builds up and creates those white bumps, sometimes they can be a little redish, but they aren't pimples...my doctor gave me this ointment to help the condition...

Are you sure it is tattoo related or could it possibly just be on your tattoo?

I actually do have that, but only on my scalp - I have really bad dandruff and I get those crusty hard white bumps that kind of look like sand that is ingrained in the skin and I have to pick them out.  I know what you're talking about and that's not what is in my tattoo.

-------------

Fuck you t('.'t)

Date Posted: December/17/2009 at 5:50pm
where is this tattoo located?  is it covered by heavy clothing regularly?  is it in a high motion spot?

-------------

Date Posted: December/18/2009 at 12:04am

where is this tattoo located?  is it covered by heavy clothing regularly?  is it in a high motion spot?

Inner arm, but my sleeve doesn't hit it.

I popped one and I think they are just ingrown hairs, they're just really hard to pop.

-------------

Fuck you t('.'t)

Posted By: rattler
Date Posted: March/10/2010 at 8:58pm
was your product petrolatum based?
ive noticed one or two on my leg before, months after healing, but ehh what can you do

Posted By: evelcupcake
Date Posted: June/18/2011 at 9:00pm
I TOO HAVE THESE WHITE BUMPS
I HAVE 24 TATTOOS AND MY LAST PEICE IS A 1/2 SLEEVE. TWO MONTHS LATER LITTLE WHITE BUMPS AND 1 LARGER ONE APPEARED. THEY DONT HURT MAYBE ITCH A
LITTLE .AFTER 22 YEARS OF GETTING INK I NEVER HAD THESE UNTILL NOW.. I HAVE BEEN USING A PRODUCT CALLED BIO OIL BUT ITS HELPED A BIT. WILL THESE EVER GO AWAY AND WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE!

Posted By: jim01
Date Posted: June/19/2011 at 12:32am
  i've had some white bumps come up in my tattoos before most of the time it's just an ingrown hair from shaving them

Posted By: rednora2
Date Posted: August/03/2011 at 6:52am
Hello Evelcupcake, was wondering if you found out what they were, I got a tattoo about 5 months ago and noticed the exact same thing!!!!! Im scared! this is the only tattoo that this is happening too.
Frown

Posted By: ashleepaige
Date Posted: August/11/2011 at 2:31pm
I have the same thing......I got my inner arm tattooed about 4 months ago and like a month after it healed the white bumps appeared. Its the only tattoo this has happened to and the bumps are only in the tattoo

Posted By: rednora2
Date Posted: August/11/2011 at 2:54pm
Im terrified, and my tattoo has alot of red in it, I hear alot about red ink, rashes and thigs of that sort, I dont feel pain or itching at all, theyre just there!

Posted By: SolidOak
Date Posted: September/12/2011 at 8:01pm
//

Posted By: wetizm
Date Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:31am

ive gotten them before. sometimes its a pimple. sometimes its an ingrown hair. not too often. but i would be good to know if theres any specific reasons. also thats the first time i hear about red ink and it makes sense... but i guess it depends on brand. i used MOM- redrum to out line an arrow on my inner ankle and its fine. but lately i used a scarlet red to outline a few and fill in stars and theres like bumps in the outline. and they flare up randomly and i can feel the whole outline like a scar. idk wtf.

Print Page | Close Window