The_Sneek
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote The_Sneek Replybullet Topic: Dharma Punx
    Posted: May/22/2007 at 7:18pm
Dharma Punx
by Noah Levine

I haven't actually had a chance to read or buy this book yet though I have read many reviews.
The book Follows Levine's past as an addict, and journey through the punk scene. Then into his way into spirituality and a better life, in Buddhism.

Im hoping some of you guys have read it and maybe have some reviews for me....
Cheers, -The Sneek
[
IP IP Logged
OMFGeLLii
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 29

Quote OMFGeLLii Replybullet Posted: May/22/2007 at 8:05pm
Why do the newer people make 3+ topics all at once haha. 
IP IP Logged
The_Sneek
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote The_Sneek Replybullet Posted: May/22/2007 at 8:08pm
Its actually not the case with me...rather I don't visit this site a lot so when I do its a release of many ideas
Cheers, -The Sneek
[
IP IP Logged
socialcoma
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote socialcoma Replybullet Posted: May/22/2007 at 8:17pm

I just read Dharma Punx recently while visiting Abhayagiri Buddhist Monstery In Ukiah, California. I historically have veered awawy from Bio and Autobio books and have been more interested in the Buddha's Teachings rather than the lives of those that choose Buddhism as a spiritual path. The book is a  well written account of his life and the causes and conditions that led to his own pain and the pain he caused others and how he managed to salvage himself then make the necessary ammends.  It is well balanced between his involvement in 12 step recovery as well as his involvement in the American Buddhist tradition. It isn't heavy on the Buddha's teachings but is quite inspirational to anyone who has been involved in counterculture or drugs and has looked for an anwser in religion(s).

to conclude I would recommend it. However I would recommend other books to explain the Buddhist tradition and it's core teachings more clearly.

hope this has been helpful
they come with there umbilical cords in hand, looking for a place to plug them in
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: May/23/2007 at 2:47am
i don't really think it would be my cup of tea....... it sounds like it's the lfie story of a 'praise the lord' person. (as in, the buddhist version of a born-again christian). meh, we'll see. maybe i'll pick it up one day.

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
SaintSinner
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote SaintSinner Replybullet Posted: May/24/2007 at 11:12pm

You'd be hard pressed to find a Buddhist version of a Christian.  They don't possess the fervor to convert, and seem to favor providing an answer when one is sought rather than promoting their answer by bringing it to your doorstep.  (No offense meant to Christians.  You've a right to your convictions.)  Very little of Buddhism, if any, requires the "just have faith" frame of mind that most Christian traditions rely on.  From a glance, I didn't get that impression of the book at all.  It simply seemed like a memoir of someone who had benefited from the teachings.  A good online source of Buddhist material is Buddhanet.net.  It has a wonderful variety of information for individuals newly interested in Buddhism or seasoned Buddhists seeking to further their knowledge.  That was some good advice, SocialComa. 

IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: May/25/2007 at 3:00am

IP IP Logged
socialcoma
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote socialcoma Replybullet Posted: June/11/2007 at 11:58am
Buddhist monks and nuns are not permitted to evangelize. The Buddha himself rarely spoke unless spoken too and was not interested in converting people and actually convinced a man to stay in his tradition (Jainism) who wanted to convert.

The running joke is that Buddhist don't need to try and convert people, when people find Buddhism they don't need to be convinced to take up the tradition.

Thanks for the compliment SaintSinner, I do my best
they come with there umbilical cords in hand, looking for a place to plug them in
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: August/01/2010 at 1:58pm
old topic, which i re-stumbled across.

funnily enough, since this thread had been created, i actually met someone who had read Dharma Punx and explained it to me in a bit more detail and how it had affected them in their life.

now i'm trying to find a copy of it for myself cos it now definitely is my cup of tea and i want to read it. my aim is to introduce the concept of Dharma Punx to people locally

IP IP Logged
Boogieforme
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Boogieforme Replybullet Posted: August/01/2010 at 3:00pm
I have seen the documentary dharma punx, and it was awesome :). Noah Levine seems like such a sweet person.
- Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost -
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version