Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Tattoos
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Tattoos
Message Icon Topic: Are temporary tattoos worth it? Post Reply Post New Topic
WakenTheDead
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote WakenTheDead Replybullet Topic: Are temporary tattoos worth it?
    Posted: August/31/2014 at 3:01pm
Hello all.
First post here!
First off, great site!

My name's Miguel and I've had piercings for a while, I've always been more for piercings than tattoos, but I didn't mind tattoos at all. I have a close friend now who has tattoos and is addicted to make more and more and I think I'm sort of falling for tattoos as well. He has introduced me a lot of alternative models that looked so good with tattoos that made me wish them as well but... now I'm just babbling out of the subject...

I'm a graphic designer and what always kept me from getting tattoos was the problem that would come to find a job later... I guess if we lived in a fantasy land where you'd have to please no one, or a post apocalyptic land with no jobs, I'd sure get them in a heartbeat... So I'm trying to look into temporary tattoos, those that last around 2-5 years to disappear... but does it work, is it worth it or should I get nothing at all instead?

- M
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 74

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: August/31/2014 at 7:10pm
In reality they begin to degrade irregularly after a reasonably short period of time. After a few months the detail will be gone and you are left with a blurred mess that will last around a decade becoming increasingly uneven and faded. Eventually you will be left with some minor scarring and some patches that may take another 2, 20 or 200 years to totally fade away.

Basically they are worse than a normal tattoo and worse than no tattoo at all. Almost no reputable tattoo artists do these kind of tattoo anyway.

As for tattoos stopping you getting a job there are a few basic questions:
- is it a face tattoo?
- is it a neck tattoo?
- is it a hand tattoo?
- does your job require you to work nude or partly nude?
If none of these are "Yes!" answers then your boss will never see your tattoos. I am covered in tattoos (arms, legs, chest, even my ass) and have been for years and most people I work with are oblivous.
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
WakenTheDead
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote WakenTheDead Replybullet Posted: September/01/2014 at 5:56am
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I suppose you are right, no one will know I have my arms tattooed, I just didn't see that option there and it was very obvious, ahaha.
I like hand tattoos a lot, but I guess there is that risk, everyone will see it. :)
I'll give it some more thought!
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 74

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: September/01/2014 at 2:42pm
Find the least clothes you every would wear for work and get a tattoo that these clothes would hide. So if you want to work in a suit then you can get almost any tattoo, if you want to work in a t-shirt then don't get tattoos low on the arms, and if you want a swimming pool job then get a tattoo that a swimming outfit can hide. I have full sleeve tattoos so I always wear long sleeves at work, and often a suit.
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
nemissary
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote nemissary Replybullet Posted: September/06/2014 at 1:11am
Temp tattoos do sound like a lose-lose idea from the research I have done online (I haven't seen them in person).

I have to agree that you should just go with tattoos that you can cover with your normal work attire. I have been increasingly tattooed for 25+ years and have kept them all where they cannot be seen if I am in a short sleeve shirt and jeans. I did the same with my piercings in the 1990s, except my tongue which I could argue that anyone that I work with that stares down my throat when I talk has a problem.

Anyway, I stayed covert my entire life until last week, when I started with obvious facial piercings. I have worked for the Federal Government and in an enforcement arm of smaller Government also. Tattoos and piercings were not allowed at all. However, I successfully worked in a hugely oppressive and invasive career field without being "outted" as a "Tattooed and pierced freak!" (As people that had either were commonly referred too by my superiors in the field and other government agents).

I have to admit, that part of the thrill of my modifications were the fact that I was successfully fooling people around me at work and those people prided themselves on finding out everyone's secrets as part of their job. :) I am very lucky that I have survived and actually manage to retire from my career(s) and now I can do all the visible stuff I want. :) Happy Days!
IP IP Logged
WakenTheDead
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote WakenTheDead Replybullet Posted: September/07/2014 at 9:44am
Thanks guys! You're all great!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version