BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Aftercare Q&A
Message Icon Topic: Belly button not healed Post Reply Post New Topic
ickle_cat
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote ickle_cat Replybullet Topic: Belly button not healed
    Posted: October/03/2013 at 4:35am
I had my bellybutton pierced (top and bottom) about the middle of February and it's still got some healing issues. It's red and a bit swollen and especially with the top one, when I put a bit of pressure next to it, white-y yellowing stuff I'm assuming is pus comes out.

I was cleaning for 6 weeks when I got it done, twice a day with savlon wound wash like any of my piercings, but then I left it alone. Initially pierced with 2 barbells which I changed to rings, thinking that maybe the bars were too tight.

Not sure what to do, hope someone can help!

IP IP Logged
Teeheemiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 1

Quote Teeheemiller Replybullet Posted: October/03/2013 at 12:34pm
The jewelries neither are appropriate for the piercings nor look like good material. Take them out and get appropriate length curved barbells. Make sure you have quality jewelries in there (Implant grade, internally threaded, high polish)
IP IP Logged
ickle_cat
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote ickle_cat Replybullet Posted: October/03/2013 at 2:14pm
I had barbells in before, and this is the same metal as my piercer always gives me which is titanium. I changed to rings to give them a bit more space and overall they do look a bit better.

A salt soak this morning has helped, any recommendations as to how often to salt soak?

Edited by ickle_cat - October/03/2013 at 2:18pm
IP IP Logged
SaintGabu
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote SaintGabu Replybullet Posted: October/04/2013 at 11:51am
it may look better now, but it's probably gonna get a hell of a lot worse when your clothes and covers start pushing those circular barbells down and putting pressure on the wound, he gave you pretty sound advice, remove the jewelry and replace it with curved barbells

saline salt soaks three times a day, that's the most you can do without over cleaning, cut the savlon, get yourself a nice surgical soap and once a day, during a shower, clean your piercing with it; avoid bathtubs, hot tubs, tubs in general, pools, beaches, and anything that has you bathing in filthy water

it might be advisable to start using a topic antibiotic, but it may not be necessary, check in with another piercer and see what he has to say about it
IP IP Logged
LauraOhFace
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote LauraOhFace Replybullet Posted: October/04/2013 at 5:05pm
Your piercings are VERY irritated. This is probably due to the quality of jewellary you wear wearing.
You should change the jewelry to a curved barbell that fits the piercing better. The horseshoes have too much movement and are to susseptable to snagging which will only further irritate your piercing. Do not put pressure on your piercing.. Do not touch it at all. It will just increase possible infection and irritation.

Do not use SAVLON... All you need is Sea salt soaks.

Sea salt soaked 2-3 times daily. 1/4 teaspoon of salt in hot water (not boiling but hotter is better) Soak for 5 minutes and use a q-tip to gentally rid of any lymphs that are secreted.

However, your piercings also seems to have some hypertrophic scarring.. Perhaps a chamomile teabag compresses would benefit.. Make the tea as normal and place the chamomile teabag onto the piercing t help reduce the scarring.!

Good luck.

Edited by LauraOhFace - October/04/2013 at 5:08pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version