BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Piercing Experiences
Message Icon Topic: This one is about gauges Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Vio_Lynn
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Vio_Lynn Replybullet Posted: January/27/2014 at 3:15pm
All of those things are completely different than someone referring to the act of stretching as "gauging".

All of the things you mentioned are globally accepted terms. There is a difference.

Seriously by that logic you might as well just say the hell with grammar and spelling while you're at it. It shouldn't matter if someone goes around saying things like "He done breaked his leg" as long as everyone knows what they mean, right?

And no one talked down to them they just corrected the person. I don't see how making a correction is talking down to someone.
"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."
IP IP Logged
SaintGabu
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote SaintGabu Replybullet Posted: January/27/2014 at 4:13pm
there is only a difference because you're on the side that says "x-ray" and "subdermal", i can guarantee you that there are quite a few doctors laughing at you right now because of that

and there's nothing wrong with saying "he done breaked his leg", hell, there's nothing wrong with the lack of the comma between "seriously" and "by that logic" or between "to them" and "they", you're not in a court of law or writing and official document, you're in an internet forum. if a professional were to say "gauged ears" in a seminar, that would be unacceptable, but if a guy comes in and asks to have his ears "gauged" and he simply replies in the same language, do you see anything wrong with this?

hell, if you came to brazil and asked for an "industrial" piercing people would stare at you, you have to ask for a transversal; different social segments have different languages and none of them is "wrong" just "proper" and "improper"

and for the talking down part, i don't know how it is around there, but it's extremely rude to correct someone around here if they aren't endangering anyone, you should talk to them one-on-one as to avoid embarrassing the person, so i'm sorry if it's just a cultural difference, it's been a really long time since i've been to the US
IP IP Logged
Vio_Lynn
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Vio_Lynn Replybullet Posted: January/27/2014 at 5:12pm
No I say there is a difference because all of those things and their alternate names are acceptable depending on where you live.

Saying "gauging" to refer to stretching isn't really an accepted term anywhere in the world. That is why they are different.
And if you claim that it would be unacceptable for someone to say "gauged" ears at a seminar then obviously you know that using that term isn't correct so why encourage people going around with incorrect information?

Just because people are not in a court of law or writing a legal document doesn't mean they shouldn't at least try to have proper grammar and spelling. It does matter no matter where you are.....court of law, school, internet forum, instant message, text, and so on....

Correcting someone is not rude unless you do it in a rude way (like making fun of the person in the process).

And yes, sometimes I make mistakes and leave out commas, but I actually appreciate when people correct me because it helps me to try and fix my mistakes in the future.
"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version