<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Hardcore Ideas
 BodyMod.org Forum : Idea Banks : Hardcore Ideas
Message Icon Topic: Alternative placing for magnetic implant Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Metalations
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Metalations Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 11:10pm
 Ive never heard anyone claim that the magnetic sense is some long distance supermutant power. I have an amazing cluster of roughly 10000 nerve based sensors that have a dynamic range of sensory input but only when you stick something in my mouth. Is taste no longer a sense due to its limited effective range. What about touch which by definition requires contact. Is human magnetoception a pure sense, no its bootstrapped to the nerves normally dedicated to physical touch....the nerve density of the genitals tongue and fingertips are about the only areas where the concentration is sufficient for this purpose...but thats neither here nor there..... ultimately if your body can sense the sympathetic vibrations of an implanted magnet then you are SENSING magnetic fields.

but to elaborate on this mechanism:

"Neuroplasticity:
The brain's ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life. Neuroplasticity allows the neurons (nerve cells) in the brain to compensate for injury and disease and to adjust their activities in response to new situations or to changes in their environment."

The human brain INTERPRETS all sensory input. Even our vision is an abstract interpretation. While you might be able to feel the greater sympathetic magnetic vibrations with an attached magnet, over time and training the brain adapts to an implant and learns to seek sensation and recognize it, even search for it in the absence of sensation, and ultimately allows a lower signal strength to be detected than in instances of external magnetic prosthesis.

From a neurological perspective, magnetic implants and the sensations they provide are as interesting and valid as the application of the phantom limb sensation dynamic to false cell phone vibration. Is the cell phone a sensory organ...nope....but the body become accustomed to the vibratory stimulation and expects it even when youve forgetten your phone.

IP IP Logged
freckled20
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 42

Quote freckled20 Replybullet Posted: October/02/2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by PainfullyPoetic

Say you wore a latex glove or piece of tape to secure the magnet against your skin. What you would feel is the magnet drawing away from your body. This could easily be the pressure on nerves that people attest to "detecting" magnetic fields. You would be better off implanting a metal detector in your body and having your finger tip light up like E. T. when it gets close to metal.
No nerve endings are connected to the magnet in such a way that you could detect metal or a magnetic field, other than from the feeling of the magnet itself pulling itself toward the sorce, which is the same feeling you feel when you hold a magnet in your hand and get close to another magnet.

All that I'm saying is that this "phenomenon" can be replicated without actually implanting a magnet under the skin. And in no way am I implying that taping a barbell to your body, or sticking a sticker on your arm is in the same type of experience you have when pierced or tattooed.

It is quite possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. What I say is only based on fundamental knowledge that I have acquired over time. It is also possible that people that get such an implant are pre-disposed to accepting such a theory as described above. I'd call it nothing more than a neat party trick. I have nothing against this Mod, it's just hard for me to sink my teeth into metaphysics.

As you have already stated that you DO NOT have a magnetic implant, you CANNOT say it's the same feeling. At all. Ever. Until you get one. I can tape a magnet to my hand, and it would feel nothing like how it feels being inside of my hand. You are correct with one thing though; and that's the fact that a magnet will still act like a magnet, whether it be in your body, or taped to the outside.
Don't judge me monkey...
IP IP Logged
SierraFoxtrot
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 38

Quote SierraFoxtrot Replybullet Posted: October/04/2012 at 12:23pm
The magnetic implant moves inside of you and thus helps you detect the magnetic field. That whole arguement was silly.

Back to the matter at hand .. ha
You could get the implant in the squishy skin between your thumb and forefinger maybe? Powerlifting I think would fuck you up because of the extreme pressure involved, all of your muscles and all of the skin on your hands would be tight and warped during the lifting.
You should research other places on the body you could have this implanted, like maybe your foot or your forearm of the back of your hand.
I don't know if this is possible I'm just sayin' I don't know if there is a specific reason people get them in their fingertips I guess because it is fleshy so there is room, and generally its good to feel things with your hand because it was evolved to that purpose.
Maybe you can get them in other places. You should look into it since having one in YOUR hand doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I've got problems of my own, but not the kind that can be solved with an atom bomb.
IP IP Logged
flatr0ze
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote flatr0ze Replybullet Posted: February/08/2013 at 9:26pm
I had a similar idea when I first heard about magnetic fingertip implants...

I thought about drilling a hole in the bone at the tip of a finger and inserting a tiny magnet there.
This way as I thought, you could sense the magnetic field through vibrations of that bone, besides it would be impossible to break that magnet anyhow, because after the bone heals, it would've been inside of a bone.

The trouble is that you wouldn't be able to lift any objects with a magnet as small as that.
Besides, those bones are extremely small, not to mention that internal bone is not a tooth (you could get bone necrosis going up your arm in case s**t goes down).

It was just an idea.
Maybe it'll be possible with much stronger magnets of a smaller size, one day.
Besides, I'm not sure you would be able to feel vibrations coming out of one small little bone.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version