<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Hardcore Ideas
 BodyMod.org Forum : Idea Banks : Hardcore Ideas
Message Icon Topic: Alternative placing for magnetic implant Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
powerexcess
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote powerexcess Replybullet Topic: Alternative placing for magnetic implant
    Posted: August/30/2012 at 7:37pm
Hello everyone! First post over here Pleased! Looks like it turned out to be a long one, couldn't make it shorter, sorry!

-I am not sure if this is the right place for my post, correct me if I am wrong.

I am an electrologist engineer interested in a magnetic implant (the only place that one can has these is in his fingertip - or genital region). There are two problems keeping me back though.
Firstly, I play the piano and I think that continually bashing the implanted finger against the keyboard might expel the implant.
Secondly, I am also into powerlifting. I fear that the constant attraction of the  magnet to the barbell will again slowly force the implant to get out.

In order to solve the above problems I came up with an idea, I need your help in making sure whether it is feasible or not.
Instead of placing the spherical magnet inside the finger one could drive a pin shaped magnet into his finger tip. For this to be done of course there should be a "socket" on the fignertip. The implant will then be removable.

Two questions arise in this scenario. Will one still be able to feel the fields? And is the forming of this "socket" possible?
Concerning the first question i think that the answer is yes since the fingertip is sensitive enough and there wont be a many layers of dead skin between the magnet and the nerves.
As far as the second question goes I am not sure at all. Will the body heal around the magnetic pin forming the socket? Will the pin stick in there or will the hole grow loose? I am not that much into piercing (just a few earnings),  I don't know what other problems there might be with this.

Again, sorry for the lengthy post, thanks if you made it all the way down here!
IP IP Logged
Metalations
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Metalations Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 5:47am
question1. No you would not be able to feel it as well. The reason disc shaped magnets are used rather than rods (a geometry similar to your proposed pin) has to do with the shape and extension of the magnetic field.  In general other geometries require greater magnetic mass to attain sufficient sympathetic vibration, the source of the stimulation.

question 2. No not really. forming such a pocket is quite difficult in the most ideal of anatomical positions, and I would hazard to say the fingertip is likely one of the least hospitable choices.

now your concerns,
first, piano the key here is to pick your placement wisely. I do not play so my knowledge of the mechanics of play is insufficient to make a suggestion but I would assume that there are areas of the finger more or less prone to hard contact..I would further assume that there are fingers that are either less used or less aggressively at least.

the magnet to barbell attraction is less likely to cause a problem then the physical forces involved in lifting.

Good luck whatever you decide
IP IP Logged
PainfullyPoetic
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote PainfullyPoetic Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 8:57am
Look, I'm not a professional by any means, but I have to chim in and I'm gonna try not to sound like an ass.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, you will never be able to feel a magnetic field, only the attraction or repulsion caused by another piece of metal or magnet. You will not gain any super human strength that might allow you to follow the migration of birds! :P

any magnet you put in your body will be somewhat weaker when you implant it in your body because the distance away from the object your attracting is greater and therefor the attraction would be weaker.

If you could find a needle shaped magnet, A, it's magnetic attraction would be very weak and B, magnets are brittle and a needle shipped magnet (if you could find one) would probably break pretty easily.

Anyhow it would seem that your best bet would be to use a larger magnet in another part of your body.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do belive there is more that two places to implant a magnet into your body. Probably just about anywhere that you can implant silicone.

Good luck!
I am pierced, therefore I am.
IP IP Logged
PainfullyPoetic
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote PainfullyPoetic Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 9:08am
Some people think they can "detect" or "sense" magnetic fields when they get this implant. And some people think they can do this from a considerable distance, which is rubbish! Tape a magnet to any part of your body and you'll get a sense of what it'll be like to have the magnet implanted under your skin.

If say, you implanted a big enough magnet to be able to "detect" magnetic fields, I wouldn't recommend going close to anything with magnetic properties, as they will probably become stuck to you and may end up ripping your magnet out if you get to close! But don't worry to much, because the size of magnet required to do this would be quite large and probably uncomfortable to implant with.
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 4:10pm
Im not saying you are wrong or right Poetic, but I find it awful presumptuous of you to assume that these people are making things up or are flat out lieing about being able to detect magnetic fields. And how, in ANY WAY, would "taping a magnet" to your body be remotely similar to having an implant. That is like saying taping a captive bead ring to your chest is like having a nipple piercing. I don't have magnet implants either. I have multiple friends that do and they all have different levels of sensitivity and I believe every one of them. Just like anything else, certain people are going to have different experiences and levels of sensitivity. A small amount of reading will show that magnetic implants can, in fact, help us detect magnetic fields on certain levels. 
"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
freckled20
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 42

Quote freckled20 Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 5:31pm
Sooooo are you trying to tell me that the buzz/vibration I feel in my hand is my imagination when placed next to a power source? (like the charger for my laptop) Do you have a magnetic implant Poetic? Because the way you speak about them, leads me to believe you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.
Don't judge me monkey...
IP IP Logged
PainfullyPoetic
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote PainfullyPoetic Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 5:49pm
Say you wore a latex glove or piece of tape to secure the magnet against your skin. What you would feel is the magnet drawing away from your body. This could easily be the pressure on nerves that people attest to "detecting" magnetic fields. You would be better off implanting a metal detector in your body and having your finger tip light up like E. T. when it gets close to metal.
No nerve endings are connected to the magnet in such a way that you could detect metal or a magnetic field, other than from the feeling of the magnet itself pulling itself toward the sorce, which is the same feeling you feel when you hold a magnet in your hand and get close to another magnet.

All that I'm saying is that this "phenomenon" can be replicated without actually implanting a magnet under the skin. And in no way am I implying that taping a barbell to your body, or sticking a sticker on your arm is in the same type of experience you have when pierced or tattooed.

It is quite possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. What I say is only based on fundamental knowledge that I have acquired over time. It is also possible that people that get such an implant are pre-disposed to accepting such a theory as described above. I'd call it nothing more than a neat party trick. I have nothing against this Mod, it's just hard for me to sink my teeth into metaphysics.

Edited by PainfullyPoetic - September/30/2012 at 5:58pm
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 6:49pm
Its NOT THE SAME as having it under your skin. It just isn't. Im not saying you can magically detect magnetic fields from a long distance, but I have been told the magnets themselves will (obviously) react to magnetic fields and that you can feel that reaction. Hence, you can detect magnetic fields with a magnet implant. You would most likely NOT be the case by taping or otherwise securing a magnet against your skin unless of course the magnet moved and then you WOULD feel it and therefor be able to detect that as well.

IP IP Logged
PainfullyPoetic
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote PainfullyPoetic Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 7:16pm
Well, that's what I'm saying, the only thing your feeling is the magnet itself repelling or attracting (moving, albeit very little) inside you. However, I myself am not implanted either, and cannot say how different it might feel from holding a magnet.

I just can't agree that its anything else but the magnet moving. But hey, stranger things have happened.
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: September/30/2012 at 7:58pm
Ok. Even if it is just the magnet moving, and YOU FEEL IT, then you can detect the magnetic energy. The rest of the argument is semantics. the difference between it being under your skin ar just holding a magnet in your hand is JUST THAT! ITS UNDER YOUR SKIN, which technically make it a "part of you"

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version