BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : General Talk About Anything
Message Icon Topic: "We want your blood" Post Reply Post New Topic
Lara
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 10

Quote Lara Replybullet Topic: "We want your blood"
    Posted: July/01/2005 at 7:23am
I got a letter asking me to give blood today, i fit all the criteria but any piercings in the last 6 months, it's something to do with infection risk I guess, do any of you modified people give blood? It just seemed a little strange to me :P
IP IP Logged
sweetiehoneybab
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 36

Quote sweetiehoneybab Replybullet Posted: July/01/2005 at 8:04am

i went to go give blood a few months ago but i was told the same thing about my piercings, also the nurse said i will probably never be able to give bood because of my tattoos, aparently cos i have so much ink in my systme it is not advised that i give blood!

IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: July/01/2005 at 12:29pm

Being tattooed even covered in tattoos DOES NOT prevent you from giving blood. There is NOTHING in tattoo ink that miraculously changes the biological properties of your blood, making it unsuitable in ANY way. It is not like they can test your blood for tattoos. I have heard this myth before and it is utter crap. It is especially sad that the nurse, a professional health care provider is perpetuating the myth....I myself have received phlebotomy (blood draw) training and certification, and I can ASSURE you there is nothing in the course curriculum to support her statements.

Not being allowed to donate blood when modified in the last 6 months to a year is based on the fact the some communicable diseases have long incubation times that may slip through the testing, and is based on the fact that tattoo shops are dirty dirty places where we swap hep and hiv among ourselves and clients. Now we know this is not true of the vast majority of tattoo shops, but it is an idea that "the powers that be" cling to tenaciously. You don't see them ask if you have had a tooth pulled in the last 6 months.....moddified clients are many times turned away because our lifestyles are seen as increased risk factors. Like not taking blood from a junkie or homosexual. It is not fair, and it is based on untrue stereotypes (all homosexuals don't have aids), but like many things in a modder's life, we have to deal with it.

Anyway, many places will still allow you to donate if you provide them with a copy of the shops CURRENT spore test result. This is the case for my clients in this area anyway. This holds true for both blood donation and plasma sale facilities in this area.

Edited by MontanaPiercer
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
onewingedweasel
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 16

Quote onewingedweasel Replybullet Posted: July/01/2005 at 6:49pm
i had never been more offended in my life than the half hour of questions they asked me the first time i donated blood.
It is so biased against homosexuals and modded peoples its horrible.  I was not only offended they wouldnt let me donate with new mod but if i had ever had sex with a bisexual man.. or a drug user
(which of course i had done both but knew to be tested and diease free) Then i was more offended when i got a card inthe mail asking me to donate again or pay them money.

i think not. I like helping people.. and im more than happy to donate blood since obviously needles and blood loss dont really bother me.. but if my local blood bank wont take my blood cause i have tats piercings or god help me.. sleep with bisexual men.. they can do with it out.

*red skittle donations accepted here*
cin: i got my nipples pierced tonite!
marty: great, now i have a place to hang my keys
IP IP Logged
FatalFixation
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote FatalFixation Replybullet Posted: July/02/2005 at 6:17pm

You guys are on a roll here. Descriminating assholes, I tell you... Funny how good intentions can lead to this.

There losing something, not you, not any of you.

You have the product they want to buy, so they are pretty much fucking themselves in the assholes.

The names Fatal and I intend to make you scream it
IP IP Logged
DoubleZero
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 13

Quote DoubleZero Replybullet Posted: July/03/2005 at 4:38pm
I wish I had a better memory, but there was something on BME about half a year ago on this subject? It was about receivng needles through tattooed skin. They were trying to say that part of the ink would go in the needle when they stuck it through you...  I searched for it but i cant find it on BME.

Sorry, this is just a random thought that sprang into mind when reading this post. I'd love to give blood, but I think im always going to be 6 months into healing something 
Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD" Kiss my modded ass, oh Lord.
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: July/03/2005 at 5:12pm

I had blood drawn just the other day, for a cholesterol check, and they went right through a tattoo......

I don't recall the article, but how can the tattoo ink in your skin be anymore potentially contaminated than the BLOOD itself? How could it carry ANY pathogen that is not in the BLOOD itself.....so if they will take the blood, why not the ink. I did a QOD search on the topic, that revealed only one issue...that of a phlebotomist or nurse having difficulty drawing blood from a vein under a tattoo, because they can't see the vein as well.....problem with that line of thinking is this....we were taught to FEEL for the vein, and to hold it stationary during draw...and this doesn't require you to see it for shit....

besides any quantity of tattoo ink in the needle would be MINUSCULE and absolutely no risk

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
sweetiehoneybab
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 36

Quote sweetiehoneybab Replybullet Posted: July/04/2005 at 12:48pm

So basically it’s all bollocks and yet more discrimination against the heavily modified!

At the end of the day fatal is right it’s their loss not ours!

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version