<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Crooked septum: is this as good as its gonna get? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
pfaily
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote pfaily Replybullet Topic: Crooked septum: is this as good as its gonna get?
    Posted: February/27/2012 at 9:11pm
I got this re-done (after an even more crooked piercing) last week, and its still kinda off. The piercer told me that this is as good as its gonna get, but I wanted more opinions. I know that somehow there is a way to pierce it perfectly, but piercers are also human so maybe this is as good as I can reasonably expect. What do you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/HGOd3.jpg

Edited by pfaily - February/27/2012 at 9:13pm
IP IP Logged
that1chick
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote that1chick Replybullet Posted: February/27/2012 at 10:12pm
Did your piercer say that you have a deviated septum or give some other reason for why it would be difficult to make your piercing more "perfect"?

Is it possible that swelling is making the piercing appear crooked when it really isn't?

Personally, I wouldn't settle for "that's as good as it gets," unless the piercer could explain to me WHY it would be crooked.
IP IP Logged
PeterAlsen
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 29

Quote PeterAlsen Replybullet Posted: February/28/2012 at 2:31am
Septums can always be 100% straight, non-crooked. It is IMO also one of the most difficult piercings to get "right" when piercing.

All piercers make mistakes sometimes, but saying "that's as good as it gets" is kinda like saying "I can't do better, they're never completely straight when I do them".

If it's only very slightly crooked you can "make" it straight when stretching it. But you should wait a few months for that, preferably about half a year, before you start stretching :)
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: February/28/2012 at 1:49pm
Even if your septum is crooked, the piercer should be able to compensate and align it inside so that it appears straight on the outside. It's tricky, I would imagine, but should be perfectly doable. 
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: February/28/2012 at 3:05pm
I learned in an APP class that you can indeed do "exercises" with the jewelry and coax it back into a straighter position. It's only a week old so there is still time. After a nice warm soak, grab ahold of the jewelry (wash your hands first!) and gently move the jewelry into the desired position...you may need to use a twisting motion, but remember to be gentle. Do it five or ten times then leave it alone, twice a day. You may have to do it for a couple of weeks but it is possible to move the jewelry into a different position with a little patience. If it doesn't work out for you, stretching has the potential to work! And if that doesn't work, well, you can always opt for the re-pierce again. 
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
pfaily
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote pfaily Replybullet Posted: February/28/2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by that1chick

Did your piercer say that you have a deviated septum or give some other reason for why it would be difficult to make your piercing more "perfect"?

Is it possible that swelling is making the piercing appear crooked when it really isn't?

Personally, I wouldn't settle for "that's as good as it gets," unless the piercer could explain to me WHY it would be crooked.

He didn't give me a reason. I was hesitant to let him try again cause I didn't want him stabbing my nose again if that was as good as he thought he was gonna be able to do
IP IP Logged
pfaily
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote pfaily Replybullet Posted: February/28/2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Cale

I learned in an APP class that you can indeed do "exercises" with the jewelry and coax it back into a straighter position. It's only a week old so there is still time. After a nice warm soak, grab ahold of the jewelry (wash your hands first!) and gently move the jewelry into the desired position...you may need to use a twisting motion, but remember to be gentle. Do it five or ten times then leave it alone, twice a day. You may have to do it for a couple of weeks but it is possible to move the jewelry into a different position with a little patience. If it doesn't work out for you, stretching has the potential to work! And if that doesn't work, well, you can always opt for the re-pierce again. 

I leave it flipped up right now :(
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: February/28/2012 at 5:51pm
That's okay. During your cleaning, pull it down and do the exercises, then flip it back up. :)
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
pythagorea
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote pythagorea Replybullet Posted: March/25/2012 at 7:26pm
If you look at the underside of your nose do you see a ridge on one side and then no ridge on the other? That's called a deviated septum and lots of people have them. I for one have it big time. My piercer informed me before piercing me that it would probably make the piercing crooked but I could try to train it straight. You can either do the pulling exercises or wad up a paper towel and put it in front of the piercing in the tip of your nose on the side that is pushed forward. The downside is it's pretty visible from the profile, so maybe just try sleeping in it.
IP IP Logged
modletmomma
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote modletmomma Replybullet Posted: March/26/2012 at 7:12pm
I've had the same experience. I got my septum pierced a couple of weeks ago, and it was a bit crooked. But I'd already known about the method cale described and used it. It's perfectly straight now.
Also, I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I would flip mine up at night, and when I woke up, it would seem less crooked than it was the night before.
I don't know if it would work with your jewelry, I think it's because I have a circular barbell in.
Anyways, I hope you manage to straighten it out. :)
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version