Books / Periodicals
 BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : Books / Periodicals
Message Icon Topic: top/favourite authors? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
jamie138
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote jamie138 Replybullet Topic: top/favourite authors?
    Posted: October/02/2011 at 4:17pm
http://erodetheperson.tumblr.com/post/10890982521/the-top

this is mine.

:)

(kafka/dostoevsky/yevgeny zamyatin/bohmuil hrabal/vsevolod garshin)
IP IP Logged
Calem
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 9

Quote Calem Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 4:43pm
Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child, Terry Pratchett...
And more...
These represent some of the authors that has written books I'm particularly fond of but most have also written less interesting things. Then there's the enormous pile of authors that has written one masterpiece they never quite lived up to again. In terms, the list is metadata...
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 5:05pm
Neil Gaiman.

And then, I quite like Stephen R. Lawhead, Cate Tiernan, Isobel Bird, Scott Cunningham, Raymond Buckland, James Herbert, Douglas Adams.

just to name a few.

But definitely Neil Gaiman at the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery top.

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 59

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 7:07pm
Among others my favorite is Dennis Lehane. 
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 7:56pm
i <3 kurt vonnegut
and hp lovecraft
and roald dahl
and several non-fiction writers (like jonathan kozol).
IP IP Logged
jamie138
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote jamie138 Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 8:31pm
yeah i read vonnegut kinda late in the game, i was given slaughterhouse 5 last year, i tend to avoid american authors, not sure why, just dont tend to find them appealing. :) but SH5 was so so good!
IP IP Logged
burninseid
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 31

Quote burninseid Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 9:33pm
I'll admit I didn't post earlier because I wasn't sure where to press the direction of the thread, but thank you ALL so far!

I'll go w/ Jamie about American authors...

'til this day I still confide in the 'old world' having been brought over in our permeations of language; that HOW we interpret or at least mediate a greater discussion, regardless of WHAT is discussed... it gets elaborated on  by the 'older' understandings because of the more mature nature of literature that followed our understandings and our 'effect' to their 'cause'.

I happen to believe a lot of that 'revolutionary spirit' that flamed early Americanism is at least still socially relevant on that 'us & them' juxtaposition because it has been reactionary from the start,? I'd say it's still about 95% reactionary here and even if 5% falls to where the US has tried its own hand - we've had to 'undo' slavery initiated by the 'old world' and we've only been replicating the infamous model of imperialism by occupation/militarism into other nation states one small, gradual step at a time despite having our 'independence' since that date of 1776,?

Authors - Arthur Koestler (religion, war, social issues) Spinoza(philosophy, religion, spiritualism) Guido von List (ancient studies, language, post modern rebirth/ritual) Albert Camus (social issues, war & revolution, humanism) Archaya S (The Greatest Story Ever Sold) Ragnar Redbeard (Might is Right) Nietzsche (religion, Europeanism, universalism)

& many more if I really* raided my library(still unpacking) Thanx Jamie!!!
"THE death of REAL music has been the drum machine... the absence of emotion; the loss of heartfelt passion - like something is missing..." Barry Manilow VISITcyberageDOTcxTOjoinTHErevolutionCUZtheRESTcantBEtypedOTHERWISE!dsbpDOTcxTOO!!!
IP IP Logged
jamie138
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote jamie138 Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 9:39pm
ha i was talking about camus today, my friend came over looking for books and i sent him off with the myth of sisphus and the plague. :)
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 10:05pm
@burninseid-- spinoza is waaay up there for me. goes right along with a lot of my beliefs, though i didn't know that 'til i read him.
IP IP Logged
burninseid
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 31

Quote burninseid Replybullet Posted: October/02/2011 at 10:57pm
Sooo cool Eva, yes!!!

I should really dig back into a lot of his texts(which I shouldl try to find locally & old... pre1960s if I'm lucky =])

Would you recommend a 'collected works' if I happened across it on the net/last resort?

And for Camus, I've noticed his works having been reprinted, but I tend for the o.g. feel of books worn and even dootled in; always interesting to see class notes or just pages highlighted for reference... I think of it as reading for serious recyclers! (I've been recycling of my own will since '98, and my mom got me started w/ it back in '90/91...

I've been having a long argument w/ myself finishing "Valley of the Moon" by Jack London... just too periodic, but no coincidence it's placed during "The Great Depression"...
Prior to that I handled "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," teary-eyed the whooole time* Nuttin' like American expansionism and oppression to wet your chops for a heated dispute,?
Some of my very last purchases were Ghandi & King, Jr, but I'm also looking out for some of Jimmy Carter's latest texts too... Thanx ALL!
"THE death of REAL music has been the drum machine... the absence of emotion; the loss of heartfelt passion - like something is missing..." Barry Manilow VISITcyberageDOTcxTOjoinTHErevolutionCUZtheRESTcantBEtypedOTHERWISE!dsbpDOTcxTOO!!!
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version