1 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Topic: Piercing Instructional Videos
    Posted: August/05/2003 at 9:01pm

Here is the question guys. I originally thought to pose this question in the pro's only area, then I rethought the whole thing and would like to know what you guys (and gals) think about the issue of the availability of instructional piercing videos.

My boss originally posed the question of making a video to me for the shops' intern and apprentice training program, which I didn't think was a bad idea. I think that with proper education and training, the videos would be benificial in showing proceedures that are fairly infrequent along with allowing an apprentice to review the proceedure as many times as they felt necessary.

Now the boss has mentioned selling copies for profit and has forced me to reconsider the issue.

I have two serious concerns:

one and most importantly, do these videos install false confidence in otherwise proceedurally and aseptically ignorant individual who could then possibly injure themselves or someone else

second, will I be essintially educating the competition?

Let me hear from you

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: August/07/2003 at 7:20pm

Only one vote and no replies? Tell me why you think they should be publicly available...or not

NOBODY has an opinion on this?

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
Adam
BMod Admin
BMod Admin

Total Mods: 72

Quote Adam Replybullet Posted: August/07/2003 at 10:45pm

I think that you should do it! I say go for it. But do I also think that some 15 year old will buy it and then think he's a professional piercer....yes. Will throwing a mandatory 18+ requirement on purchasing it help? Don't think so.

I would suggest that you make them (maybe an hour each) and sell them for a high cost...say $50 per video. When you think about it, it's really not that bad of a price, especially considering that a teeny-bopper navel piercing and a sorriety girls touge will easily cover the cost . This will allow serious people a chance to see piercing in action all over the world, and even learn stuff they don't know yet.

If you do get into this, let me know. I'd be more than willing to work something out with you to sell them through here!

All in all, it's a great idea, and I hope you go with it.

.: Adam

---------------------------------
"I agree that knowledge is power, but let's not give it to those guys" - from some old ass movie

IP IP Logged
girlygirl
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote girlygirl Replybullet Posted: August/08/2003 at 9:57pm

I do not think it would be a bad idea to have them for sale.  Kind of like "Piercing For Dummies' type of thing?  There are so many instructional videos out there -what the hell might as well.

Here are some of my initial thoughts on why I think it is a great idea:

People will pierce anyway- wether they buy the video or not - so if you sell it to them at least they will be doing it correct.  Or at least they will have the tools to learn how to do it correct. There is always that one idiot who will do something stupid like piercing a 5 y.o. sister's nose or some such thing... So a disclaimer wouldn't be a bad idea.  Kinda like 'Jackass' does :)

As far as training your competition:  For the most part I believe people who are serious about piercing will go to a reputable piercer and pay to have it done.  They won't go to so's apartment.  - especially if it is a more complicated piercing.  I think most people who buy it won't hang up a shingle.  I could be totally wrong though.  For instance, if you marketed it heavily as an instructional, start your own business thing it could potentially cause more competition.

There's my 2 cents

girlygirl
IP IP Logged
gorgmagog
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote gorgmagog Replybullet Posted: August/10/2003 at 5:10pm
I agree with girly girl, if someone is gonna pierce themselves they are gonna do it with or without the knowledge of wether they are doing it right. If there was a video atleast they could see the right way to do it. Besides I have already seen a video/piercing kit for sale in a beautycraft catalog, so you might as wellgo ahead and make some loot
omega is the end
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: August/12/2003 at 7:55pm

I am thinking on it.....got some business shit to consider too.....copyrights and all that jazz...not to mention royalties....thanks for your input guys

IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: August/19/2003 at 11:50pm

I talked with a producer yesterday. We have discussed running one wide angle cam along with an eye-cam for me.  And to discourage reckless at home piercing, we are setting our price for the videos at a substanial increase in the cost of me performing the piercing for them. That way, we hope it will be for educational purposes only.

We are also going to cover sterility and aseptic technique, aftercare, tool care and cleanup.

Let me know if you have some ideas....

IP IP Logged
xGoddessx
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote xGoddessx Replybullet Posted: September/22/2003 at 11:18am

I think they should be available for pro's only. Imagine ppl buy it who are determinated to become a piercer without any pro guide and start pierce ppl without having the right material, and not to mention the hygiene that those piercings happen in.
I think a piercer must have a basic knowledge of the human atonomie cus they can seriously injure ppl. A mistake is quickly made but unfortunately unreversable for the customer.

IP IP Logged
bri_jenk
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote bri_jenk Replybullet Posted: September/22/2003 at 11:52am

i agree with xGODDESSx

about a decade ago there was a guy who moved onto our estate

who turned out to be a scratcher,pretty soon every underage kid

had a piss poor tat etched into there arm or wherever done in unsterile conditions

if these vids were made public pretty soon all estates could have there own crap unsterile home piercer scarring kids and adults alike and taking money out of the pockets of competent ,professional experienced piercers! anyway rant over!

dead tuna don't argue they just get abused by myranda & qogs,tell the world!
IP IP Logged
Adam
BMod Admin
BMod Admin

Total Mods: 72

Quote Adam Replybullet Posted: September/22/2003 at 1:33pm

First of all, I think that this really is a moot point. If someone wants to pierce, they're going to do it. That guy that messed everyone up didn't learn from a video, he prolly just grabbed his mothers sewing kit and went to down on his best friend (while intoxicated of course).

Here's my suggestion(s):

Create two line of videos; 1 for professional piercers on how to's for more of the complicated piercings and procedures. The other can be for people that want piercings. In these, you'd cover what the piercing is supposed to look like. How it's supposed to happen, what to look for in a piercer/studio, aftercare, etc.

The Pro video's can go for $50, and then the personal one's can go for $10 if you do one per piercing, or $25 if you show a bunch of piercings on one video.

I thought about this because the intent of this project is to make $. Yes there are a lot of piercers out there, but how many do you think will really buy them (and not dupe them!). There's a way larger market in the people that want piercings. Most people that go in for their first or second will more than likely want the video of what they just got. Shit, I'm suprised no one's capitalized on the ThemePark photo idea. Video tape the person getting prepped, pierced, and cleaned. Burn it to a DVD and sell it to them for $10. Shit, even I would have done that a couple times!

My 2 cents...

.: Adam

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version