BodyMod.org Forum : BMod Professional's Corner : Q&A for BMod Professionals
Message Icon Topic: Do you pierce minors? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: January/19/2011 at 9:24pm
Also not a pro, so if you want you can just delete.

The piercer I go to does minors only if the parent produces a birth certificate showing they're the parent, and both parties need photo identification. I don't think she typically does anyone under 14 though, and no genitals or nipples until they're 18. Pretty good policies, if you ask me.                                                             
IP IP Logged
jake fleshworks
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 8

Quote jake fleshworks Replybullet Posted: June/10/2011 at 11:32am
my personal standards for age are realistically if a kid looks under the age of 18 i will ask for a form of identifications just on the off chance they could be under the age of 16. if under the age of 16 id then ask for a parent / guardian to be called in and co-sign a release form WITH THE CLIENT. Then after i am happy with all health conditions and confirmation of age for the specified procedure i will then sign the form aswell showing that i was present and accepted the procedure. Obviously in more extreme cases of nipples / genital i would want a form of identification to confirm that the person is 18 years of age at least and take a photocopy to keep with the release form for my records as unfortunately the issue of people getting fake I.DS made now is on a huge growth and its always a nice safety net and peace of mind incase you are unfortunate enough to get caught out haha

Edited by jake fleshworks - June/10/2011 at 11:33am
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: June/10/2011 at 2:20pm
I don't know how I missed this topic...

I pierce minors.  I require the parent to sign a release form and be present during the procedure.  I also require a birth certificate or court documentation in the case of guardianship, a state-issued photo ID or passport for the parent/guardian, and a photo ID for the minor (I allow school ID's for the minor).  I make a copy of all these documents and keep them on file with the release form.

I won't do any kind of genital or nipple piercings on minors, and I don't do anything I consider an "advanced" piercing ie. surface, microdermals, cheeks, etc.  I don't have a specific cut-off for any particular piercing, but my general cut-off is 14, except for ears.  I will pierce earlobes on anyone old enough to specifically ask for it, understand the procedure, understand the importance of proper care, and sit still while I'm doing the procedure.  I will do basic helix piercings younger than 14 as well, depending on the circumstances. 

I don't give a specific age for each piercing because I do every minor piercing on a case-by-case basis.  I feel like blanket policies open me up to a lot of headache, because it's much harder to say no when you told the minor yes on the phone.  When minors come in with the mindset that their attitude, ability to listen, and ability to follow instructions is what makes my decision, it's generally a more pleasant experience for all involved :)
IP IP Logged
Illingen
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 22

Quote Illingen Replybullet Posted: June/10/2011 at 3:29pm

I do pierce 16-17 year old minors with parental consent myself. Most are people that had a friend or hack in town mess it up and come and get it fixed. Genitals are a big no, as well as tongue piercings (really, they can wait until 18 for that). I've always thought if I don't do it, they'll go to the other 10 shops in town that do, and 3/4 of them will mess it up.

IP IP Logged
jake fleshworks
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote jake fleshworks Replybullet Posted: June/10/2011 at 6:41pm
thats exactly my point, over here we have loads of hair salons / barbers who literally use those "guns" for all sorts like nose, helix, and tragus piercings even had a client who had said that of of them pierced her naval using one. I would much rather a client to have a much higher standard / more hygenic piercing be they a minor or not rather than send them away to get butchered  by the hands of a complete idiot. Gives me a much better piece of mind!

and i definately dont see any wrong in it at all considering all the forms are in order and parents are present to consent
IP IP Logged
randy flagg
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 237

Quote randy flagg Replybullet Posted: June/10/2011 at 9:48pm
The state of Missouri has it's own minor piercing form. There is no age limit, just restrictions on genitals, that's it. The legal guardian must be present and in the room during the piercing.

Our shop policy: They must have a state issued ID with a D.O.B. and physical address. The last name and address must match the legal guardians, or a birth certificate must be provided where the parents name is listed.

It's weird, we will not tattoo minors, but I pierce them all day long. Mostly navels, nostrils, and ear cartilage. I will not do surface work on them.

Like Cale said earlier in thread, if the minor doesn't seem capable of taking care of the piercing or is not paying attention then I won't do it.
Violence with grace...
IP IP Logged
jake fleshworks
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote jake fleshworks Replybullet Posted: June/11/2011 at 12:02pm
thats an awesome policy man, i wish the UK had more regulations in force like that, including the seperate forms etc. its a very safe way to work not jst for the artist but for the client too!

IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: June/11/2011 at 3:09pm
I require a birth certificate or court document with every single minor piercing.  I've had too many cases of step-mom trying to sign.  The last names and addresses do match in those cases, but legally, step-mom has no authority to give consent.  
IP IP Logged
vampire311
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 139

Quote vampire311 Replybullet Posted: June/11/2011 at 11:15pm
I do pierce minors 12 and under I will not touch.

13 to 15 just lobes

16-17 everything but Nipples Genatails and Tongues

18+ everything as long as it is safe for them medical wise.

All minors are required to have parents signiture and must have Birth Certificate to prove it is the parent.

Edited by vampire311 - June/11/2011 at 11:16pm
http://www.bodymodbyharrisonnixon.com
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version