<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Tattoo Experiences
 BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Tattoo Experiences
Message Icon Topic: last tattod was infected...or was it?? Post Reply Post New Topic
faded_rainbow
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote faded_rainbow Replybullet Topic: last tattod was infected...or was it??
    Posted: October/07/2010 at 11:13pm
Ok, this is my first Topic...please be kind, and if I am posting in the wrong area, I apologize and would be glad to move it wherever needed. On to the story. This was several years ago, and only now am I wanting to return to ink... The picture below is of my last tattoo, a earth/air yin yang. It is on my inner calf of my right leg to match the fire/water yin yang on my outer calf. I found a new shop in a city where I had previously gotten another tattoo, and found the artists portfolio to be good work, and the shop was immaculate. All fresh equipment, likely the most sterile place I have ever seen. I showed the artist my idea for the piece, and he drew out a much better rendition from my template and I was ready to go. As for the process, it was standard...the inner calf proved a bit more painful than the outer, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. The issue began when I returned home, and decided to take a look at the piece as I changed the bandage. It had already started to feel hot as I drove home, and when I removed the bandage there was a deep purple ring all around the tattoo. This was only after 2 hours. I decided to give it a little time, but by the next day I could not walk on my right leg without great pain and that evening...the purple circle began shooting red "veins" up and down my leg. That night I went to the ER with a 105+ fever. The doctor took one look and told me, "Well, looks like someone has given you a nice staph infection!" After prescribing me massive antibiotics and a you-messed-up look of disapproval...I was on my way to a month-long wait as this tattoo bubbled, oozed, and fricken hurt like hell as it healed.
     Now, the questioning part is this. All the bubbling, pus-filled, painful fun was by and large only where the blue ink had been used. In fact, a quick look at the picture below will let you see that virtually all of the blue oozed itself out of my leg. So my question is this...did I have an infection, possibly staph, or was it a horrible allergic reaction to the blue ink. I had at that point never heard of ink allergies...I am much older and wiser these days. In the end...a 60 dollar tattoo cost me nearly 2 grand after the month that included 2 ER visits and insanely priced medications. So my new-found family...any ideas WTH happened?

IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: October/08/2010 at 12:04am
so, all that happened on the same day, and the next, when you got the tattoo?

staph is some nasty shit, but i've never heard of it setting in to that extreme of a degree so fast....

it is very possible that you had a severe allergic reaction to the blue ink....
i've had an allergic reaction to a specific brand of red ink before, but not nearly to the degree that you (apparently) may have had...

no one can say for sure, as we have no idea of the true nature of the shop's cleanliness, the tattoo artist's skill level in regards to cleanliness and BBP control, and a number of other factors.....
unless, samples were take of your malady during it's flare, and was proven to be staph under a microscope, of course....

keep in mind, i'm a piercer... not a tattoo artist.... so, my knowledge of all things tattooing is limited...

IP IP Logged
faded_rainbow
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote faded_rainbow Replybullet Posted: October/08/2010 at 12:22am
Thanks for the feedback! And to clarify, within 2 hours the tattoo had the ring of purple, and was crazy painful by day 2. Not long after came the fever, and such. Like I said, this has been several years ago. The second ER visit I mentioned was due to a bad respiratory infection that set in while I was weakened from the "staph." Levaquin 750 is some expensive meds....and I took more than any one person should, lol....I'm glad that in the end I lost some ink, and not some leg...
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: October/08/2010 at 12:38am
Staph generally takes a couple days to incubate, and it's VERY unlikely that the staph would have been localized to one color only. Sounds more like an allergy to me.
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
standingtyping
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 33

Quote standingtyping Replybullet Posted: October/08/2010 at 1:48am
i am no medical pro but i have had experience with a staph infection and i am the queen of allergic reactions. that being said almost all of my allergic reactions come on that fast but i've never had a fever with any of my allergic reactions and never has an infection set in that quick.

the spreading and fever make me lean towards infection but the fast onset and the way the blue seemed to take the brunt of the trouble make me lean back into the the allergy column.

truthfully it makes me think you had a bit of both an allergic reaction and an infection. before anyone poopoos that notion please be aware that i spent the better part of the summer of 09 dealing with an allergic reaction and a bout of cellulitis all at once. i don't do nuffing half-assed =p

i feel ya on the silly price of meds, being allergic to two classes of antibiotics somehow means i am always stuck with the pricey stuff.
"One day we will be the most awesome crazy cat ladies EVER...
people will know us."
IP IP Logged
faded_rainbow
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote faded_rainbow Replybullet Posted: October/08/2010 at 1:00pm
Thanks for all the responses so far, my main reason for asking is because I've decided it's been far too long since I had been inked. IOW, I have ideas for new pieces...and just wanted to know if I should stay away from blue ink??? Unfortunately, I don't know if the shop is even still open to contact about what brand they were using....
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: October/08/2010 at 1:36pm
the streaking is a sign of blood poisoning.  i've never heard of an infection setting in that quickly, but an entry site compromised by an allergic reaction to an (possibly contaminated) ink and with a direct port to the blood stream followed by acute incubation (the bandage) could conceivably cause the rapid onset of staph. 

i myself have had a severe reaction to a magenta ink which caused excessive and painful scabbing which prevented me from walking for upwards of two weeks.  antibiotics would be useless in fighting a reaction of this nature, or the infection related symptoms.   essentially if you have an ant infestation in your house you can't use a rat poison to get rid of them, even if your cookies are still disappearing off the counter.

your body should naturally eject the particles causing irritation, thus the loss of color.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version