<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
General Talk About Anything
 BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : General Talk About Anything
Message Icon Topic: obesity (not a mod post) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Poll Question: Is gastric bypass surgery a form of mod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [58.06%]
11 [35.48%]
2 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

girlygirl
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote girlygirl Replybullet Topic: obesity (not a mod post)
    Posted: July/26/2003 at 7:57pm

I am going to get this surgery soon.  My sister got it and lost 100 pounds.  It has altered her body and life immensly.  The general population seems divided about wether this surgery is a good or bad thing.

What does the mod community think?

girlygirl
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: July/28/2003 at 10:15pm

I like to give broader definition to the term 'body modification'. In the truest spirit of body modification....any physical change is modification. In todays world of extreme modifications....we forget that something is simple as a haircut or painted nails is still a conscious act at altering your appearance, just as piercing tattooing and the like. Even if you apply the resriction of definition that the mod must be permanent or semi permanent a gastric bypass surely meets the criteria.

As to if you should do it? Do what ever you want as long as you have informed yourself of the associated risks and found them acceptable. I think doing it for your health is a consideration but doing it for your appearance seems a bit extreme, unless all other non invasive options (i.e., diet, exercise, and healthy eating) have been explored. Surgery is no joke....shit happens, people die.......

just my 2 cents......

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
girlygirl
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote girlygirl Replybullet Posted: July/29/2003 at 9:08pm

Well thanks for the opinion Montanapiercer.  I was beginning to wonder if anyone had an opinion on it around here.  I pretty much think exactly as you on this one.  But that is ok if others don't.  I'm just curious.  Boy everyone at work thinks they need to give me their opinion on this - even though I don't want to hear theirs :)

But come on now folks I want to hear it from you.

girlygirl
IP IP Logged
t3chDzyn
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 16

Quote t3chDzyn Replybullet Posted: July/29/2003 at 10:27pm

I am a strong believer that you should be happy with the cards delt to you as far as your actual physical being, i.e. body shape.  I think that the media has pushed a certain image upon the culture that has just made an ideal that is impossible to reach.  That's why we see people who have eating disorders and other random shit that I don't care to get into.  I think that the bypass surgery is a great way to lose weight for health issues.  You shouldn't do it if it's to make other people like you or to get a date.  It's something that I feel should be done if your weight is a threat to your health.  MTV did a thing about it awhile back.  Well, enough of my rants, I'm tired, time to get comatose.

IP IP Logged
Durak
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote Durak Replybullet Posted: August/01/2003 at 3:32am
I say go for it... if you can do it, and you want to... who cares what anyone elses opinion is?
Follow Your Lord, Into The Void.
Adam's a Cheater.
IP IP Logged
shygirl
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote shygirl Replybullet Posted: September/11/2003 at 10:05am
I've actually considered it as well, but I've read that it isn't for everyone and there is a long drawn out process to get it.  It affects everyone differently and some people look REALLY bad afterwards... just a thought... be careful
IP IP Logged
DC0-1
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote DC0-1 Replybullet Posted: September/16/2003 at 8:28pm
Well i agree with bits and pieces of what the above have already stated. I agree and say it is a body mod, as ive seen some serious results from that surgery and i think its more of a mod than some of the stuff you see on this site. Basically it comes down to making a modification to change your physical apperance.. Loosing weight does these quite well. =P i know i lost 40lbs when i moved out of my parents place...(mama's cooking hehe)

Before posting the reply i took a look at the date you posted for your birthin your profile. This really effected my posting...(i hate to make blanket statement but..) Being that you arnt a teenager or someone in college i feel that your more likly secure with your self and came to this idea in a sane(spelling?) state of mind rather than seeing the latest skimpy pics of Spears or Agulara and wanting to look like that.

What one person stated above hits it on the nail... Do what you think is best for you.. For the amount of cash that you will probally spend on it, i would probally personally put it towards an investment of some form for my future children, or for retirement.

No matter how many surgerys and no matter how much effert we get old and gravity takes its toll.

So in all i am neut, just call me sweeden. However you may check with your kids and see what they think... As it will effect your closest family the most.

/soap box

IP IP Logged
dncngbear
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote dncngbear Replybullet Posted: September/16/2003 at 9:03pm
I think if it will make you feel good and won't hurt your overall health worse then being heavy...... go for it.  I have a few concerns on this and having once been extremely obese at one time (329lbs), I had looked into it.  For one, I worry about the nutritional aspects of it.... Being that most bypasses the tummy, and most vitamins are passed before used and so forth.  Secondly, for me, it was an emotional issue and I felt as if I had to deal with that before I had a surgery.  I felt that if I did not, I would eventually just pick up another form of self abuse.  Also, I have lost all but 10lbs (and it is stubborn!)..... It took almost 4 years to get to my current weight of 138 lbs and I have v. little excess skin which seems to be yet another reason for surgery after the primary one.  But mostly, I feel healthy emotionally.  I think if you are in an alright spot with it and can live with the possible stuff that goes along with it go for it!  I know it works for a lot of people and I consider them extremely brave to make a lifestyle change such as it requires.  However if the emotional issues are not dealt with, weight or no weight, they will pop up in one way or another.
We are only as sick as our secrets.
IP IP Logged
4U2NV
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote 4U2NV Replybullet Posted: September/23/2003 at 10:20am

Its a body modfication coz ur modifying ur body!

U might as well do it, what u got to loose?! (Other than a few pounds! arf arf)

There's nothing more beautiful than beauty disfigured.
IP IP Logged
shygirl
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote shygirl Replybullet Posted: September/26/2003 at 6:15pm

true true true

a wonderful teacher yoda is.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version