BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : Books / Periodicals
Message Icon Topic: Kindles? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 7:59pm
Obviously eReaders aren't really for the "analog" people who enjoy physical books, other than just for the reading aspect.

I like the idea of being able to have hundreds of books at my disposal. Also, no one can see that I'm reading the Twilight series :-X
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by CheapPerfume

Also, no one can see that I'm reading the Twilight series :-X

....until you tell them... :P
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Eui1337
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote Eui1337 Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 8:28pm
i've considered getting one and having all my favorites and such...but then i remember that i can barely stand reading PDF documents for more than a few minutes. Something about large blocks of text on a screen put me off.
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream..." - Vincent Van Gogh
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by CheapPerfume

Obviously eReaders aren't really for the "analog" people who enjoy physical books, other than just for the reading aspect.

I like the idea of being able to have hundreds of books at my disposal. Also, no one can see that I'm reading the Twilight series :-X

*smacks you*

thanks, you just helped me celebrate Smack a Twilighter day.

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 11:47pm
For the record, I also have Bram Stoker's Dracula on there. Give me SOME credit. Haha.
IP IP Logged
freckledimple
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 41

Quote freckledimple Replybullet Posted: September/12/2011 at 8:44pm
Nothing beats the tactile experience of reading a "real" book. That being said:

KINDLE, KINDLE, KINDLE!!!!

I adore my Kindle! I have hundreds of books on it already. There are tons of free books available, and they always have some sort of sale going on.
The eink screen treats your eyes just like a paper page ,you can change the font size if you need to, and you CAN read in bright sunlight.
I have the one with 3G because I live in a rural area, and there are not too many WiFi hot spots in the boonies. So, as long as I have a phone signal, I can get a book.
There is a read-to-me feature with most books. It sounds a bit robotic, but it works for when you have to do the dishes.
You can also listen to Audible audio books on Kindle, and any other mp3 file you wish to.
If you must play games, you can also purchase them for Kindle through Amazon.
As far as I can remember, all you need to register your device is an email address; but I have had an Amazon account for years. It in no way influenced my decision to get a Kindle over a Nook, because I have also had a Barnes & Noble online account and discount card for years.
The Kindle suited my needs better. It is primarily an ereader, where the Nook Color is more like a tablet.
I found out recently that you can also use Amazon gift cards to purchase Kindle books, too.

Obviously, my vote is for the Kindle. It is also cheaper than the Nook.
IP IP Logged
bondagekitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote bondagekitten Replybullet Posted: September/13/2011 at 2:38pm
lol, I'd forgotten about this thread.

I got bought a kindle for Christmas last year and am on my 2nd one now after I broke my first one (sat on it - major downfall compared to a proper book) but Amazon sent me a new one as soon as I called them and included a free return envelope so I could send the broken one back with no cost to me.

I haven't put mp3's on it, using my phone for them still but have got copies of all my Pratchett and Gainman on it along with loads of old classics that I need to get round to reading. I love it. I only have the wi-fi one but we have wi-fi in the house and if I really can't wait for a new book I think I could use my droid as a wi-fi router (can def use Scott's).
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)
IP IP Logged
jod806
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 32

Quote jod806 Replybullet Posted: September/13/2011 at 6:39pm
I love the kindle!!! Mine had one issue and I had a brand new one next day delivery, with the pre-paid packaging to send the defected one back, AND I got to keep all the peripherals :D

I have the 3G one and love it, I can download books anywhere, and I can read on my pc, phone, etc when kindle isn't handy or I forget it. The small one rocks for taking anywhere you go, and books are super affordable.

I love books and the kindle lets me have any book I want at my fingertips whenever I'm in the mood to read it
SINcerely,

Juan

Website
Facebook
IP IP Logged
Atropos
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Atropos Replybullet Posted: April/14/2012 at 12:48am
I had the Kindle Touch for a while, and I really liked it - however, I like to read a lot of science magazine so I recently bought the Kindle Fire for the color.

The idea of the Kindle itself excites the crap out of me -- and maybe that's just my adoration of books (however I do MISS that smell of cracking open an old book). I love the fact that I have access to like 1,000 books at any time. I can bookmark, highlight and even copy stuff onto my Facebook to share with other people. :P
I have noticed that if you have a "dimmer" light in your room it can be a little harder to focus, as oppose to being in direct sunlight. The Kindle really is crystal clear in sunlight, it's amazing.

I've read reviews of other people saying that the Kindle lags for them, or becomes unresponsive, etc -- but I've never experienced this problem. I still have two wall-sized bookshelves, but my Kindle is pretty much in my bag at all times. I even use it for grocery lists sometimes. :P
IP IP Logged
MysteriVamp
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote MysteriVamp Replybullet Posted: April/14/2012 at 7:28am
I've had my kindle foe about 3years now and didn't really read traditional books much however i probably read between 2 and 3 books a week since getting the kindle. I don't know what i would do without my kindle and being able to read Brahms Stokers, Dostoevsky and the rest of the classics. Definitely a good investment in my eyes. You'll enjoy the ease of reading and your eyes will love you for it.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version