BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : Books / Periodicals
Message Icon Topic: Kindles? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
bondagekitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote bondagekitten Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:01pm
oops didn't see the bit about it playing mp3's, looks like I'm going to be saving up.
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by AlecTrosex

Originally posted by CheapPerfume

I actually just bought a Nook from Barnes and Nobel yesterday. I went with that over the Kindle because I can read books for free at their stores, and it gives you the ability to "lend" your books to a friend who also has a Nook.
The kindle allows you to download tons of free books through the whispernet service and with a usb connection you can transfer free ebooks that you have downloaded to your computer. If your friend has a kindle you can give them a copy of any books that you have just by copying it to your computer via usb, then copying it to theirs via usb.

It gives you something like 10 days of battery with the wi-fi turned off, which is much longer life than my laptop gets.
I usually get around 3 weeks with my kindle when I turn off whispernet.

I personally wouldn't bring an ereader into the tub with me. I'd be too afraid that I'd get it wet.
You can buy waterproof ereader cases.

One thing I have heard is that if you don't have a US billing/shipping address, they charge you "roaming fees" by having you pay a few extra dollars per book even if you get the wi-fi only models (instead of the 3G + wi-fi). Which is stupid, because you CAN'T roam if you only have wireless.
I have never heard of this. Is this a nook or kindle issue?

Now for my own contribution. I love my kindle. I have around 100 books on mine right now and an ebook collection of somewhere around 3500 books on my external hard drive. I find that reading from the kindle is easier on the eyes than reading from a backlit device. I wouldn't say that my kindle replaces my need to have books, but it is fantastic for traveling or to give me a chance to read something that I otherwise would not have read. An example of one reason that I love my kindle is an occasion when a friend ranted and raved about a series of twelve books that he absolutely loved. Not all of them are available at the local library and my friend lives too far away for me to borrow them in person. Shipping them all twice would cost a fair amount of money and buying them would have cost me $120US. I found a website that offered them for free in epub format and I read them for free on my kindle. The series was pretty enjoyable, and I am glad I read it, but I never would have gone to the trouble or expense of acquiring them in the pulp.
I mentioned travel above; let me get into that a bit. I travel quite frequently. I often use mass transit. I always bring something to read. Until I got my kindle I would always have to ration my reading material carefully. I wouldn't want to lug a huge book around or multiple books, then not read them, and I certainly wouldn't want to finish my book then have nothing to read. The kindle is light weight and compact, more so than many books. I never have to worry about running out of reading material on a trip again.
I love the dictionary feature. I enjoy authors that have broader vocabularies than I have, so it often comes in quite handy. The kindle also offers text to speech, mp3 playback, and unlimited free (extremely basic, pretty much not worth using except for websites that don't need lots of images to display properly) web browsing. Kindle software was recently updated to support passage sharing through social media.
In closing I will say that I love my kindle.

The Nook also allows you to transfer over ebooks from various sources, not just the B&N eBook store, which would include ebooks you get for free. As long as the file format is supported, you're good. I know it supports epub and several others. It can also contain image files, pdf files, and mp3 files. Technically, you can also download the B&N ebooks to your PC and just transfer them to multiple devices as well, to bypass the limitations of their "LendMe" system. The Nook also has a dictionary feature, and you can place bookmarks in your ebooks. You can highlight and annotate too. It also has a limited browser. I personally have no need to get 3 weeks off a charge, as I don't do a lot of traveling where I wouldn't be able to plug in after a few days.

I'm not sure which reader it was with the roaming issue, I can go find the source again and get back to you.

Essentially, the devices do the same thing, and it's just down to how picky you want to be with the hardware specs. They have the same screen size, both use eInk, and can hold more books than you probably need it to. One might have more internal memory, but you can always buy a micro SD card to supplement it (at least in the Nook you can, I don't know if the Kindle allows for this).

For me personally, the main draw of the Kindle was the in-store free reading. Yes, you can usually get samples of pay-for books, but sometimes they don't start right from the beginning, which is irritating. While I'm out and about anyway, I can stop into a store, read some (or all, depending on how short the book is) of an ebook, and then decide if I want to buy it to continue being able to read it. I also like the touch screen below the reader bit vs. the Kindle's built in keyboard (I don't know what their reader screen is capable of).

The Kindle vs. Nook debate is kind of like all the other technology "who's best" competitions. Mac vs. PC, Apple vs. Droid, etc. One device is going to be better for one person, and the other device will be better for someone else. It's just a matter of knowing what you want, and comparing it to what's available.

I carry multiple devices on me at all times. I always have my laptop, my Droid, my iPod Touch, and now the Nook. Each of them perform specific functions, and they perform them well. I personally have no need, or want, to combine them into one device that does the things I need sub-par. Sure, you can drop $500 on what is basically a tablet PC (keeping in mind that yeah, you can get a netbook for the price of a Kindle, but you can also get a REAL laptop for the price of an iPad), but doesn't really have all the features of one. If you just want an eReader it's a waste to buy the iPad, unless you plan on using all the features. Which I wouldn't, since I already have a good laptop.

The only advantage I see of using the iPad is that you can download apps for the three major eReaders - Nook, Kindle, and Kobo - to read books from all three stores. However, you can mostly do that anyway (you can't put Amazon on Nook, I wouldn't think, but most of the books available on Amazon are in the B&N store too - which reminds me, B&N boasts a larger selection of titles than the Amazon store - and you can put plenty of other kinds of books on each device) making that iPad argument kind of irrelevant.

Edited by CheapPerfume - September/10/2010 at 11:34pm
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 11:00pm
The roaming charges applied to the Kindle. Though, I am not sure if the Nook faces similar charges, as the author of the article only has the Kindle.

Article 1:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/08/30/international-kindle-users-heres-how-amazon-is-screwing-you/

Article 2:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/09/02/international-kindle-avoid-extra-fee-save/
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by bondagekitten

I have readers for my phone and ds. I won't touch mac stuff even if it was free - I'd sell it on without opening it - I break mac's on touch. I like what I've read about the screens, I don't like reading large amounts of text on my laptop and dislike the readers on my DS as only out of copyright is legal or the few nintendo have available, my phone doesn't like annotations and the screen is fairly tiny.

I played around with a sony one a few years back in a book shop and it didn't hurt my eyes as much as a monitor or laptop screen.

I mean no disrespect to Mac users but from my personal experience of electric shocks and wiping peoples hard drives I'll give them a miss - they don't like me and the UK prices are ridiculous. I have a good enough laptop that is fairly light so an Ipad would be pointless to me although I admit the battery life would be nicer but I like running multiple programs at once which I've heard is an issue with them. A kindle I would just use my phone as my mp3 player as normal if I was wanting tunes at the same time. 

edit to add the kindle with free 3g and wifi built in is £149 net books here tend to be £300 up. Amazon.co.uk now have free 3g in 100 countries and territories and mine would be UK registered, they are letting non US change their origin to avoid cc charges for US transactions now we have our own kindle store.

I can't be sure, but it sounds like the Kindle might be your best option, simply due to the fact that you're "international", and I don't know how well the Nook translates to non-US users. My schpeel was mostly for the US people considering an eReader. :]
IP IP Logged
merrry
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 55

Quote merrry Replybullet Posted: September/11/2010 at 5:37am
I prefer real books. I like the whoe experience of waiting for my book to arriveand reading it, going over the parts I liked best. Sure, books take up space, but there are plenty of people who like to share and exchange books.
AKA: The Queen Of Hugs, Naughty Girl Extraordinaire, Merrrypoppin, Merrry Contrary and Sunshine. I'm also Proud To Be A Persnickety Bitch!
IP IP Logged
SteveSirenic
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 35

Quote SteveSirenic Replybullet Posted: September/11/2010 at 1:32pm
I'm agreeing with merrry on this one. I much prefer to hold the book in my hands. I also, highlight parts I like the best. :P
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need no roads. -ISHC
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/11/2010 at 4:19pm
You can highlight stuff on the eReadesr :p

I only use mine for "fun" books. I can't use it for text books for class, because I do too much flipping and note taking in them.
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 11:16am
Karen, i won't hate you for that. if a book is captivating enough , i've taken it to the bath with me and swore my head off every time i needed to turn a page..  which is why i would want a waterproof book.

i don't like to read off a screen. which is why i print out my ebooks.

Steve, i will however, hate YOU for highlighting books. poor books well ok, not HATE...... but severely disagree with your book abuse and wag my finger at you whilst frowning.

i'm with merrry. i much prefer books. i'm a bibliophile..... i don't just love books for their content, but also for their format...... hardback/paperback, dustsleeves, illustrations, font, type of binding, even the page numbering. and i love the smell of books. both old and new. i could go on for ages about why i love books so much. but i'll stop here

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
bondagekitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote bondagekitten Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 6:19pm
I'm starting to run out of space for books, need more shelving me thinks.... still might get a kindle too, I prefer real books but for traveling and taking to work (when I'm back) so no-one can see what I'm reading...
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)
IP IP Logged
Euphoric
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 28

Quote Euphoric Replybullet Posted: September/12/2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by merrry

I prefer real books. I like the whoe experience of waiting for my book to arriveand reading it, going over the parts I liked best. Sure, books take up space, but there are plenty of people who like to share and exchange books.

Me too. I love looking at my collection of books. Plus, I collect old, vintage, and odd books so obviously I couldn't get that if I decided to get a Kindle.

But I think the idea is good if you are a traveler, or are small for space.

I tested out the Ipad however and I wasn't very impressed.
If I got a dollar for every time I repented the sin then committed the same crime, I'd be standing on top of the world today...
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version