Books / Periodicals
 BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : Books / Periodicals
Message Icon Topic: Kindles? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
bondagekitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote bondagekitten Replybullet Topic: Kindles?
    Posted: September/10/2010 at 7:01pm
I thought I'd ask on here what opinions people have on Kindles?

I quite like the idea of them with the new easier to read screens and that I could get loads of out of copyright books for free plus loads of books I've not read less money and lots less space. I'm just not sure how comfy they would be to read compared to an old weathered paperback - also I like to read in the bath (don't hate me Ros but I have loads of tattered books from them getting splashed).

Anyway I'm thinking of saving up, I am a tech junkie, I just tend to break it lots and not understand it but have a very big ooohh shiney things complex I guess.
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)
IP IP Logged
howies
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote howies Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 7:08pm
A member of another forum i frequent has just bought one and he thinks its the greatest thing since scliced bread.

tbh, i prefer reading off paper. but i like the idea of having 1000 books in your pocket at anytime :)
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 7:25pm
seems a good idea...but i've got a laptop and 3 other pcs that i can read digital books from as well as watch movies, play games, listen to music...etc...

the kindle isn't much cheaper than a netbook from the last price i saw.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Uraniumhobo
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 105

Quote Uraniumhobo Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 8:02pm
my dad got one not too long ago and absolutly loves it
Ah ha-ha, chess. The ancient contest of wits. Two opponents: mano a mano. Braino a braino. And look: magnets for ease of travel. You could play chess on the moon.
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 8:08pm
I actually just bought a Nook from Barnes and Nobel yesterday. I went with that over the Kindle because I can read books for free at their stores, and it gives you the ability to "lend" your books to a friend who also has a Nook.

I hemmed and hawed over buying it vs. just getting the Nook for PC software, but I'm glad I got the Nook. It gives you something like 10 days of battery with the wi-fi turned off, which is much longer life than my laptop gets. Plus it's about the weight and size of a small book, which I can't say for my laptop. I also wanted to keep my ebook collection separate from my personal computer. It's just a weird personal quirk, and not for any particular reason.

I have no problem reading the Nook. They Nook and Kindle both allow you to change the font size on the screen to make it easier if you need the font bigger. I personally wouldn't bring an ereader into the tub with me. I'd be too afraid that I'd get it wet.

One thing I have heard is that if you don't have a US billing/shipping address, they charge you "roaming fees" by having you pay a few extra dollars per book even if you get the wi-fi only models (instead of the 3G + wi-fi). Which is stupid, because you CAN'T roam if you only have wireless.

Edited by CheapPerfume - September/10/2010 at 8:10pm
IP IP Logged
JClaude
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote JClaude Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 8:22pm
Not knowing if you are on a budget...I would highly recommend the iPad.
It runs the Kindle software besides the Apple book store which offers dozens of free books. Also dozen of other apps for newspapers and magazines (including a dozen or so tattoo mags like "Inked"). Plus music, video, games, utilities, email, web browsing, GPS, etc...
Not that much bigger then the kindle, infinitely more versatile.

Edited by JClaude - September/10/2010 at 8:24pm
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 8:42pm
I thought about the iPad for me, but at like $500, it wasn't worth it. I just wanted a super portable e-reader, since I already have a laptop that does everything an iPad can, and I also already have an iPod Touch for my music (and so I have all apps there too).

If you don't really need or want a device that does more than act as a book, and/or you have a laptop already, I wouldn't spring for the iPad.
IP IP Logged
JClaude
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote JClaude Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 9:08pm
I have to disagree, I have all 3 iPods (touch, Nano and Shuffle) have at least 6 laptops and 3 desktops, a Sony book reader and 2 UMPCs and the iPad sits clearly in a category of it's own.
It is a perfect mash-up between an iPod+e-reader+laptop.

It's convenience alone is worth it. To read books I love the ability to copy/email  text, instant dictionary (yeah I need that at times), text highlight and bookmarks, you can change fonts, set screen brightness, super cool page turn effect. Of course superb color images, very pleasing aesthetics. And to top that, the iPad even runs Skype! When your done with the book, couple fingers tap and you can watch the movie lol
There is just no comparing devices when it comes to that, having one certainly does not preclude having the other, unless of course budget is a problem, but that is it, budget, the only thing that makes the iPad "replaceable" else, just go for it, you will not regret it. I got mine really just to check out what was all the hype about on release day, walked into Best Buy and they had them in stock, and I use it for hours each day, specially after I go to bed to read.

Originally posted by CheapPerfume

I thought about the iPad for me, but at like $500, it wasn't worth it. I just wanted a super portable e-reader, since I already have a laptop that does everything an iPad can, and I also already have an iPod Touch for my music (and so I have all apps there too).

If you don't really need or want a device that does more than act as a book, and/or you have a laptop already, I wouldn't spring for the iPad.

Edited by JClaude - September/10/2010 at 9:15pm
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!
IP IP Logged
bondagekitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote bondagekitten Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 9:55pm
I have readers for my phone and ds. I won't touch mac stuff even if it was free - I'd sell it on without opening it - I break mac's on touch. I like what I've read about the screens, I don't like reading large amounts of text on my laptop and dislike the readers on my DS as only out of copyright is legal or the few nintendo have available, my phone doesn't like annotations and the screen is fairly tiny.

I played around with a sony one a few years back in a book shop and it didn't hurt my eyes as much as a monitor or laptop screen.

I mean no disrespect to Mac users but from my personal experience of electric shocks and wiping peoples hard drives I'll give them a miss - they don't like me and the UK prices are ridiculous. I have a good enough laptop that is fairly light so an Ipad would be pointless to me although I admit the battery life would be nicer but I like running multiple programs at once which I've heard is an issue with them. A kindle I would just use my phone as my mp3 player as normal if I was wanting tunes at the same time. 

edit to add the kindle with free 3g and wifi built in is £149 net books here tend to be £300 up. Amazon.co.uk now have free 3g in 100 countries and territories and mine would be UK registered, they are letting non US change their origin to avoid cc charges for US transactions now we have our own kindle store.

Edited by bondagekitten - September/10/2010 at 9:58pm
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)
IP IP Logged
AlecTrosex
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 24

Quote AlecTrosex Replybullet Posted: September/10/2010 at 9:56pm

I actually just bought a Nook from Barnes and Nobel yesterday. I went with that over the Kindle because I can read books for free at their stores, and it gives you the ability to "lend" your books to a friend who also has a Nook.
The kindle allows you to download tons of free books through the whispernet service and with a usb connection you can transfer free ebooks that you have downloaded to your computer. If your friend has a kindle you can give them a copy of any books that you have just by copying it to your computer via usb, then copying it to theirs via usb.

It gives you something like 10 days of battery with the wi-fi turned off, which is much longer life than my laptop gets.
I usually get around 3 weeks with my kindle when I turn off whispernet.

I personally wouldn't bring an ereader into the tub with me. I'd be too afraid that I'd get it wet.
You can buy waterproof ereader cases.

One thing I have heard is that if you don't have a US billing/shipping address, they charge you "roaming fees" by having you pay a few extra dollars per book even if you get the wi-fi only models (instead of the 3G + wi-fi). Which is stupid, because you CAN'T roam if you only have wireless.
I have never heard of this. Is this a nook or kindle issue?

Now for my own contribution. I love my kindle. I have around 100 books on mine right now and an ebook collection of somewhere around 3500 books on my external hard drive. I find that reading from the kindle is easier on the eyes than reading from a backlit device. I wouldn't say that my kindle replaces my need to have books, but it is fantastic for traveling or to give me a chance to read something that I otherwise would not have read. An example of one reason that I love my kindle is an occasion when a friend ranted and raved about a series of twelve books that he absolutely loved. Not all of them are available at the local library and my friend lives too far away for me to borrow them in person. Shipping them all twice would cost a fair amount of money and buying them would have cost me $120US. I found a website that offered them for free in epub format and I read them for free on my kindle. The series was pretty enjoyable, and I am glad I read it, but I never would have gone to the trouble or expense of acquiring them in the pulp.
I mentioned travel above; let me get into that a bit. I travel quite frequently. I often use mass transit. I always bring something to read. Until I got my kindle I would always have to ration my reading material carefully. I wouldn't want to lug a huge book around or multiple books, then not read them, and I certainly wouldn't want to finish my book then have nothing to read. The kindle is light weight and compact, more so than many books. I never have to worry about running out of reading material on a trip again.
I love the dictionary feature. I enjoy authors that have broader vocabularies than I have, so it often comes in quite handy. The kindle also offers text to speech, mp3 playback, and unlimited free (extremely basic, pretty much not worth using except for websites that don't need lots of images to display properly) web browsing. Kindle software was recently updated to support passage sharing through social media.
In closing I will say that I love my kindle.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version