Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
General Talk About Anything
 BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : General Talk About Anything
Message Icon Topic: ’Zene Article.. Post Reply Post New Topic
FieldOfRoses
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote FieldOfRoses Replybullet Topic: ’Zene Article..
    Posted: April/21/2005 at 8:02pm
well.. in this one zine.. i found this interesting thing on piercings and tattoos.. here ill type it all..
Tattoos and body pirecings have been so commonplace that they barely attract notice. But health officials say that they are increasingly worried about the potential risks, including disfigurement and infections. Of primary concern are blood-borne viruses like HIV and hepatitis B and C. And doctors say that tongue and body piercings provide channels for bacteria and viruses to enter the bloodstram long after the piercing procedure. Tattoo needles are also a concern, "Anything that pierces the skin and has blood on it can potentially spread an infection," says Miriam Alter, an associate director at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. About 10 percent of piercings become infected, and tongue piercings carry an additional risk. Jay Gohel, a dentist in New York, has repaired several teeth damaged by repeated contact with metal. "Every time you move the tongue, it's banging on the teeth," he says.

So.. there is the article..
~Sex is like Pringles. Once you pop, the fun don't stop!~
I think piercing is an art, not a fad..
IP IP Logged
FieldOfRoses
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote FieldOfRoses Replybullet Posted: April/21/2005 at 8:36pm
oh btw.. im not againt piercings or ne thing like that.. so dont worry ^_^ [:matrix:]
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: April/22/2005 at 12:10am

They know next to nothing about piercing....they are not bodymod professionals, the trend from the medical community has always been worst case scenario scare tatics...when one of them actually has a piercing and speaks from experience instead of prejudice then I might lend them an ear...until then they are know nothing fucksticks who are only voicing an ignorant opinion....

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
FieldOfRoses
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote FieldOfRoses Replybullet Posted: April/22/2005 at 10:37am
yeah. thats true, but about the tongue piercing.. is it true it can harm your teeth after a certain amount of time? im thinking of getting one, but im not sure on it..
IP IP Logged
Keairao
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 22

Quote Keairao Replybullet Posted: April/22/2005 at 10:39am
I agree Montana. I think the problem is that they forget (or don't want to admit) that the majority of artists out there are properly trained in how to deal with the hazards of their jobs. Yes, anything with blood on it can transmit disease, that's why it's disposed of properly. Doctors don't have a monopoly on this knowledge.

Besides, you would be shocked to know how many doctors and nurses I've seen touch a patients open wound with their bare hands. I commented on it to one nurse I was working with, and she told me "she (the patient) is old, it's not like they have a disease or anything" Apearently once you hit 50 you're immune to hep c, HIV, etc.  it was news to me! *L* (just feel the need to point out the scarcasm in the last sentence)

It's (very) slowly getting better. I've been asked about my tats and piercings by a few doctors who genuinely want to know more about it. Later this summer my crew is supposed to be doing a suspension demo for a bunch of doctors (and a few lawyers) because they're confused by it and want to learn more. We may even suspend one or two of them (they have expressed an intrest in suspending) It should be interesting.
IP IP Logged
Tola
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote Tola Replybullet Posted: April/22/2005 at 12:05pm
I think it was in toronto that soem piercer(sorry I cant remember the details) actually gave a course to emerg staff on safe removel of jewlery so some hospitals are at least starting to take some initiative in that area
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version