<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Body Modification Related
 BodyMod.org Forum : Events : Body Modification Related
Message Icon Topic: Discrimination against mods in the workplace. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 6 Next >>
GodMod
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 17

Quote GodMod Replybullet Topic: Discrimination against mods in the workplace.
    Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:21pm
I'm so tired of being denied jobs because of the way I look. I'm constantly being overlooked because of my mods. It happens so frequently that I'm much more qualified for the job than the next schmuck in line and I still get overlooked because of my appearance. I want it to stop. If you agree with me... Please sign my petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tattooandpiercingdiscrimination/  Bang%20HeadCensoredShakes%20FistMadCrazy

Edited by GodMod - March/06/2010 at 2:30pm
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."-- Oscar Wilde
IP IP Logged
glimme
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 43

Quote glimme Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:28pm
I disagree it's the right of a person to hire who they want. If you look a certain way by choice then it's that employers right to not hire you simple fact. We shouldn't be forced to hire people that in a way could be detrimental to our businesses and a person with mods can do that unfortunately because people are closed minded and sometimes wont shop/eat/whatever somewhere because of a person with mods. If I owned a business I sure wouldn't want the government breathing down my neck telling me who to hire.
"This stuff, it makes pure mescaline seem like ginger beer man."

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson
IP IP Logged
thesounknown
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 40

Quote thesounknown Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:35pm
Oh bleh do we really have to go over this again?
She looks like the real thing.
She tastes like the real thing.
My fake plastic love.
IP IP Logged
GodMod
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote GodMod Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by glimme

I disagree it's the right of a person to hire who they want. If you look a certain way by choice then it's that employers right to not hire you simple fact. We shouldn't be forced to hire people that in a way could be detrimental to our businesses and a person with mods can do that unfortunately because people are closed minded and sometimes wont shop/eat/whatever somewhere because of a person with mods. If I owned a business I sure wouldn't want the government breathing down my neck telling me who to hire.

In my eyes it is no different then hiring someone who is flamboyantly homosexual. Or even someone who is racially diverse. Okay think this, there's a place that requires you to be clean shaven...A jewish man walks in and wants a job but, he has a beard. Do they hire him or skip over him? It's a double edged sword really...If you don't hire him you're being racist. If you do hire him, you're ultimately breaking the rules.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."-- Oscar Wilde
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:48pm
or, ya know... you can accept the fact that you've made the conscious choice to do what you do, look how you do, and an online petition will never work to do anything...

there's already laws in place that provide a supposed 'protection' against discrimination.... but because tattoos and piercings are personal choices that (in today's time) rarely have any basis in religion or ethnic rites, it is permissible and perfectly legal under title VII of the civil rights act of 1964 for an employer to choose not to hire.   the employer has an image that he or she wants to display to the public, and that image very rarely involves the stigmas that go along with tattoos, piercings, and heavy modifications...

now, here's where your specific bitching and moaning about something you've done to yourself all falls down...

the only visible modifications i see that you have are mildly stretched ears and no tattoos....

now, if it were me posting this... with my finger tattoos, neck tattoos and more than 45 hours of tattoos on the rest of my body... along with my shaven head and 7 inch long goatee, i may have a bit of an argument that i was legitimately discriminated against due to my appearance...

you, however, have the sum of almost nothing visible, and therefore i raise the question that perhaps you are severely overestimating you qualifications and personal social skills whilst interviewing for a job...

i had finger tattoos, neck tattoos, shaven head and long goatee when i applied, interviewed, and was hired onto a state government crew supervisory position.....

there comes a time when you gotta stop wearing a chip on your shoulder and expect people to see you point of view.... cause they never will, learn to live with that, and learn to play that game to get what you want...

instead of complaining about an employer not lettin you flip burgers, you could actually focus on the real problem ... and that is the simple fact that the stigma that modifications carry with them...
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:50pm
oh... by the way... this is a "mod" this guy has posted...

http://www.bodymod.org/mods/mods.aspx?modtype=Tat&ID=35139&lm=1

have fun ripping him a new asshole....

IP IP Logged
CheeseStix
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 71

Quote CheeseStix Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:51pm
No, if you don't hire him, you're not being racist. His reasons for having a beard are his own business.  I'm gonna assume you need to be clean shaven because.... oh, lets say it's a restaurant.. Now it's a sanitation risk to hire this man. Should he be hired, and endanger the sanitation of your food, because he's jewish? Or, let's say he wants to work on the oil rigs. You need to be clean shaven at all times in order to have their standard oxygen masks seal to your face properly in case of a problem. This is serious, even drivers who make deliveries there, have to follow this rule. Should he get away with it because he's jewish, and they can allow him to break all their safety violations? Hell no.
The rules should not have to be modified to aid the individual when it makes the greater whole suffer. Like a company hiring a heavily modified person knowing they're gonna lose a bunch of revenue because of it. Seems a tad bit selfish to me.

Edit: I also see his eyebrow and left nostril.

Edited by CheeseStix - March/06/2010 at 2:55pm
IP IP Logged
GodMod
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote GodMod Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by freakychild

or, ya know... you can accept the fact that you've made the conscious choice to do what you do, look how you do, and an online petition will never work to do anything...

there's already laws in place that provide a supposed 'protection' against discrimination.... but because tattoos and piercings are personal choices that (in today's time) rarely have any basis in religion or ethnic rites, it is permissible and perfectly legal under title VII of the civil rights act of 1964 for an employer to choose not to hire.   the employer has an image that he or she wants to display to the public, and that image very rarely involves the stigmas that go along with tattoos, piercings, and heavy modifications...

now, here's where your specific bitching and moaning about something you've done to yourself all falls down...

Well BUD. I guess it's my own fault for not having a new picture. You fail to see my 5 inch goatee, almost shoulder length hair. 00 stretched ears (along with the other 7 piercings in my ears.) my pierced eyebrow. My pierced and mildy stretched nose stud and my shoulder tattoo. Don't go galavanting around here taking my mods and showing them off the world asshole. The mistakes I made when I was younger are not any of you fucking business.

Eat shit and die.
Sincerely yours,
That guy.

the only visible modifications i see that you have are mildly stretched ears and no tattoos....

now, if it were me posting this... with my finger tattoos, neck tattoos and more than 45 hours of tattoos on the rest of my body... along with my shaven head and 7 inch long goatee, i may have a bit of an argument that i was legitimately discriminated against due to my appearance...

you, however, have the sum of almost nothing visible, and therefore i raise the question that perhaps you are severely overestimating you qualifications and personal social skills whilst interviewing for a job...

i had finger tattoos, neck tattoos, shaven head and long goatee when i applied, interviewed, and was hired onto a state government crew supervisory position.....

there comes a time when you gotta stop wearing a chip on your shoulder and expect people to see you point of view.... cause they never will, learn to live with that, and learn to play that game to get what you want...

instead of complaining about an employer not lettin you flip burgers, you could actually focus on the real problem ... and that is the simple fact that the stigma that modifications carry with them...
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by GodMod

Originally posted by glimme

In my eyes it is no different then hiring someone who is flamboyantly homosexual. Or even someone who is racially diverse. Okay think this, there's a place that requires you to be clean shaven...A jewish man walks in and wants a job but, he has a beard. Do they hire him or skip over him? It's a double edged sword really...If you don't hire him you're being racist. If you do hire him, you're ultimately breaking the rules.

actually, the jewish man would have a solid argument for his discrimination charges due to his religious practices being acted against...
as evidenced by the passage of Leviticus chapter 19 verse 28 which states "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

but, a "flamboyantly homosexual" person would have the presence of mind to tone it the fuck down when it's necessary and it wouldn't effect his sexual orientation in the least...

so, your argument fails...
IP IP Logged
CheeseStix
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 71

Quote CheeseStix Replybullet Posted: March/06/2010 at 3:05pm
Sorry, I was referring to what i saw as fair, not legalities. lol. It's too early for legalities for me. :P
IP IP Logged
Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version