Message Icon Topic: Capre Diem OR Sieze the day Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
jackybacky
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote jackybacky Replybullet Topic: Capre Diem OR Sieze the day
    Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:02pm
ok, so iam getting this tattoo on my lower arm... however i dont know whether to have the latin translation "Capre (enjoy/seize) Diem (day)" or just "Seize the day".

I have Two chinese symbols for loyalty and love already, one on each arm.. will a latin translation kind of clash? Should i just stick to displaying it simply in english translation?

This meaning does have personal meaning to me in different ways... iam just very stuck on deciding which way to put it on my skin.
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:22pm
well, can you speak latin?
or chinese for that matter?

do what you will... but it rather baffles me why one would get words in a language different than their native language tattooed on the body...

do japaness get english words on them, just as readily as americans get japanese kanji?

just sayin....
IP IP Logged
jackybacky
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote jackybacky Replybullet Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:34pm
I appreciate your oppinion, so you think.. having it in english.
As for the question you left, no they dont. English lettering takes up much more space than for example Kanji... for Love, 4 letters are needed... in japanese only 1 Symbol, however it still means the same thing... Also tattooing in Asia is still mainly associated with gang identification (like triads or yakuza).

P.S ***carpe*** no spellcheck + Dyslexia = spell error

Edited by jackybacky - October/30/2009 at 10:39pm
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:51pm
it was a rhetorical question only meant to illustrate a point...

i can see why someone would get kanji... it's a beautiful style of communication.... but, if you can't read it... you honestly have no idea if what you have is true to translation....

check out this following link... it's a blog that i rather like to visit to get laughs and shakes of head....

http://www.hanzismatter.com/

now, yes, i would say english, that is a correct statement based on my original reply...

however, you are partially right and partially wrong in your statement about tattoos in eastern asia (mainly japan with the yakuza influence)
yes, tattoos and full body suits are synonymous with organized crime in the region... however, in more recent years, members of the organized crime syndicates, are pulling away from the full body suits and some of the more readily identifiable tattoos that indicate an affiliation with a criminal organization...
more and more younger individuals are obtaining tattoos without being affiliated with organized crime.... very very slowly, the perception is being shifted...
unfortunately, females and tattoos are still a taboo... even more so than tattoos themselves (because of the perception)...

it's really not unlike the perception in amerika of outlaw bikers and tattoos....

i have a very good friend who has lived in tokyo for the past four years and is also a very enthusiastic fan of tattoos and body modification... that subject just came up, not two weeks ago, in conversation with her... so, i guess she's got a first row seat to the cultural stigma's....

IP IP Logged
Landailyn
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Landailyn Replybullet Posted: October/30/2009 at 11:13pm
Carpe Diem is one of those phrases that is used as is in modern English.  Just like we also say "deja vu" or any other number of phrases derived from other languages that don't have an English translation that completely and wholly conveys the meaning.

I vote for latin.
Why are you looking for love?
Why are you searching as if I'm not enough?
'Cause I'll be by your side, wherever you fall
In the dead of night, whenever you call, and
Please don't fight, these hands that are holding you.
IP IP Logged
standingtyping
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 33

Quote standingtyping Replybullet Posted: October/30/2009 at 11:28pm
my vote is for the latin too
"One day we will be the most awesome crazy cat ladies EVER...
people will know us."
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: October/31/2009 at 1:57am
Ancilla dominium delictat, jackie.  Podex est.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
DeaOfScelestus
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 74

Quote DeaOfScelestus Replybullet Posted: October/31/2009 at 2:45pm
I vote Latin as well. Carpe Diem.

I enjoy using latin in my every day life... hence my name. Nod
Photobucket
IP IP Logged
mspiggy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 77

Quote mspiggy Replybullet Posted: October/31/2009 at 11:45pm
Actually I read an article (in Vietnamese) several days ago that said there was a trend going in China that Chinese people getting tattoos English words :-P Just saying ...

Here is the link:

http://www.zing.vn/news/nhip-song-tre/trung-quoc-sot-voi-mot-xam-tieng-anh/a52499.html

Edited by mspiggy - October/31/2009 at 11:47pm
Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean
IP IP Logged
7upyours
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote 7upyours Replybullet Posted: November/01/2009 at 8:45pm
i like the idea of Carpe Diem simply because of what it represents to me. not only seize the day, but dead poets society. :)

i vote carpe diem
believe nothing, no matter where you have read it, or who as said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sense.
-buddha
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version