Message Icon Topic: piercings and work discrimination Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
kyria430
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 18

Quote kyria430 Replybullet Topic: piercings and work discrimination
    Posted: March/25/2009 at 2:22pm

OK, so this is my first forum post and I have a doozy.  I work for a company with a very conservative owner.  I hired a young man with 1" lobes and what appears to be 0 or 00 plugs in both nostrils.  When I hired this gentleman, I asked myself if I would trust him in the store with the cash if it were mine.  I was able to answer yes so I gave him a job.  When he interviewed with me I told him that the owner has a clause in the employee handbook stating no facial piercings and he agreed to only wear his flesh colored plugs. 

I guess he forgot this and came to work today with silver plugs in his nostrils.  The area supervisor for the store blew up!  She was nasty to him (always has been) and made him go home, losing a days pay. 

My question to you all is have you ever encountered workplace discrimination because of your mods, and if so how do you handle it?  I really like this kid and trust him more than some of the workers without mods, but I am being overruled.  The area supervisor is clearly closed minded and will find any reason she can to fire him.

Edited by kyria430 - March/25/2009 at 2:22pm
IP IP Logged
Terri-Sian
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 50

Quote Terri-Sian Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 2:47pm
its difficult as your work already states that they do not want employees with facial piercings. you made this clear, he didnt follow company rules, he got sent home.
i dont really see this as discrimination.
if someone owns a business they have an idea of how they want it to appear to the clientelle.

now if someone is hired and is allowed their mods and then a couple of months down the line are asked to take them out or are asked to leave due to them then that is discrimination.

unfortunatly mods are always going to be a grey area regarding jobs.
when you are a modded person you have to make a choice.
either comply with the rules or find a job that allows the mods you desire.

"I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times hard to handle... But if you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!"

- Marilyn Monroe
IP IP Logged
Goat_Feet
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 31

Quote Goat_Feet Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 2:49pm
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. If the owner has a policy against visible piercings then they have a policy against visible piercings. I've never had a problem in my past job (customer service associate) with my facial piercings but a lot of places do have policies against them. Personally, I wouldn't take a job that would make me remove/hide my visible modifications but thats just me. This guy you hired unfortunately has to deal with the decision he's made to become visibly modified. It's not fair by any means but becoming visibly modified is a big step and you have to be ready to deal with the repercussions (especially in the workplace).
IP IP Logged
kyria430
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 18

Quote kyria430 Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 2:52pm
I really think this particular area supervisor has a problem with him only because of his mods.  I feel horrible for putting him in such a hostile environment.  I didn't realize how close minded she would be, regardless of his outgoing personality.  Which is exactly what we want in our stores.
IP IP Logged
Jeeennnnniiiii
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 23

Quote Jeeennnnniiiii Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 3:04pm
outgoing personality or not, he shows some attributes of arrogance if he thinks he can turn up to work wearing jewellery when he's told he's not allowed.

and that is someone i wouldn't want working for me.
well i might have somethin' to say about that, space man!
IP IP Logged
Mike2008
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote Mike2008 Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 3:13pm
sorry...but rules are rules..and agreements are agreements...not following up always has consequences...if it is about mods or otherthings....work as MD...regulary have these kinds of discussion...he is breaking this rule so why do you think he accepts others?
IP IP Logged
Goat_Feet
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 31

Quote Goat_Feet Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 3:40pm

It's not a fun situation for anyone to be flamed at work because of their mods but it was his choice to show up with jewelry in there. You supervisor is just following policy. No matter how much it might suck thats how it goes sometimes with work. Again, visible mods have consequences that you have to be ready for. It's a lot different if you've been in a position for a while and you get mods than if you're hired and already have them. A classic example is my last job. I worked there for 4 years in high school. When I started I had one or two piercings in each ear and that was it. By the time I last left for school I had about 15 piercings and because I'd been there so long and always had great customer service ratings they never gave me any problems. When my girlfriend applied over the winter, they told her she needed to make her mods less visible because of the "conservative clientele" and she only had a septum and maybe an eyebrow piercing (plus ears obviously) at the time. Just goes to show you that employers can really suck with that kind of stuff but if you're going to be modded thats how it goes unfortunately.

Edited by Goat_Feet - March/25/2009 at 3:41pm
IP IP Logged
Mike2008
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote Mike2008 Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 3:46pm
hey..that's the way of life.... :)
IP IP Logged
standingtyping
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 33

Quote standingtyping Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 3:58pm
he agreed to only wear flesh colored plugs, then wore something else. he was sent home for violating the conditions of his employment, that is not a case of discrimination in my opinion. he was lucky you hired him in the first place considering the company policy. 
"One day we will be the most awesome crazy cat ladies EVER...
people will know us."
IP IP Logged
corpsegrind
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote corpsegrind Replybullet Posted: March/25/2009 at 7:30pm
I face some discrimination working at a Caribou Coffee.  But luckily I have made it in good with my employers but if it were to come up with HR I would get in trouble.  Its all about how each person takes it at the manager level.  I would like to see less discrimination.  And I think as time goes on I think it will get better.
Therapy for the soul.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version