<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Tattoo Experiences
 BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Tattoo Experiences
Message Icon Topic: Healing tattoos... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Poll Question: How do you heal your tattoos?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [55.88%]
9 [26.47%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Lunch_Box_Ink
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 88

Quote Lunch_Box_Ink Replybullet Posted: March/20/2009 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Carrie_p2005

Originally posted by xevious

carrie, have you tried aquiphor? I recommend it to all my clients, even to the point of giving it to them in aftercare kits (easiest way to make someone follow my aftercare advice lol).

a very thin coating is enough for a couple of hours, and it doesn't have all the extra crap tattoo goo has. PLus, a tube of it is cheaper in the long run. $8.50 for 1.5 oz?? Fuck that, you can get a tub of aquiphor big enough for your entire body for that much.

No I've never tried Aquaphor.  Anything I use that's made by Eucerin burns like a mother, even on intact skin.  Plus it contains Lanolin.  We've had a number of clients react to that ingredient.  We actually switched the brand of A & D he used when tattooing because it contained lanolin, and a number of clients developed mild rashes when they never had before.  Since switching the number of rashes has dropped to only once in while.  I remember reading somewhere that approximately 30 % of the population is sensitive to lanolin, so I don't recommend any products that contain it.

I buy Tattoo Goo wholesale, not retail.  We buy the .33 ounce tins to sell.  They only cost us $1.39 per tin, and I've used the same tin to heal 2 large tattoos, with over half of it still left.  We sell those for $3 a tin, so it works out well for people who only get tattoos once in a while.  They spend $3 for aftercare versus going to the store and spending $8 on a bottle of lotion.  And for those that get tattooed often, it will last through at least 3 or 4 tattoos, maybe more depending on size.  Another thing I like about Tattoo Goo is it is impossible to over-apply.  Some people will goop on whatever product they are using regardless of how much you stress "only a thin layer".  And then they come whining to you when their tattoo looks like shit.

I like all the stuff in Tattoo Goo.  Olive oil, cocoa butter, wheat germ oil, sunflower oil, vitamin E, and lavender oil are all emollients that help the skin retain moisture.  Lavender oil also has antiseptic properties and is soothes skin irritation (it's good for sunburns).  Sunflower oil also provides a protective barrier that is somewhat infection resistant.  It's been used for years on premature babies to protect their skin from infections that are related to underdeveloped skin.

I've never had any issues like that with Aquaphor but I guess everyone has different reactions.  I don't dought Eucerin's lotions would burn like thell on a new tattoo

I LOVE TATTOO GOO TOO!  i just found it dosn't work as well for me, but if I have no Aquaphor, Tattoo Goo it is!!!
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: March/20/2009 at 3:24am
yeah, I agree their lotions burn like a sonovvabitch. We found out that my husband is rather allergic because the "head artist" when we first opened insisted that we HAD to use bag balm. Which is pretty much just rubbing a sheep on yourself. Fucked his tattoo up. Then he switched to SERIOUSLY small amounts of aquiphor and his tattoos heal perfectly.
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
felonious drunk
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 78

Quote felonious drunk Replybullet Posted: March/20/2009 at 8:15am
Yes! bag balm.
I want to start a new thread close to this one.
A list of great things will be made, let me start with a few:

Vick's Vapor Rub

Preparation H

Butter

Speed Stick

and my favorite; Bag Balm.

I have only met one person who swore by that, and I swear he had down syndrome.

Edited by felonious drunk - March/20/2009 at 8:15am
IP IP Logged
progi
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote progi Replybullet Posted: March/22/2009 at 2:16pm
The first days i use bepanthene and after that vaseline....always a tiny amount. It works very well. All in all about 2 weeks.
feel free to do what you want
IP IP Logged
PippaG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 32

Quote PippaG Replybullet Posted: May/08/2009 at 5:37am
Originally posted by you-fail-me

Bepanthen all the way.

+!

IP IP Logged
mrDahmer
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote mrDahmer Replybullet Posted: May/08/2009 at 12:44pm

Originally posted by mrDahmer

Doesn't petroleum based products draw ink out? Which is why you can get spots of faded colour. Thats what I've been told anyway, could be wrong.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate? I read it in a tattoo mag a little while on an issue on aftercare which is why I asked.
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: May/08/2009 at 1:19pm
i dig aquaphor the first few days. then i soap and water it until it's no longer tender and apply the fuck out of lubriderm.

if you put too much of anything on a healing tattoo it'll cause a rash. hell, sometimes when you put ink in a tattoo you get a rash.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
AltheaRose
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 47

Quote AltheaRose Replybullet Posted: May/09/2009 at 2:07am

Originally posted by AltheaRose

Doesn't petroleum based products draw ink out? Which is why you can get spots of faded colour. Thats what I've been told anyway, could be wrong.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Care to elaborate? I read it in a tattoo mag a little while on an issue on aftercare which is why I asked.

Sure, first of all, don't believe everything you read.

Secondly, nothing except putting too much of ANY product on a fresh tattoo will draw the ink out (as far as suggested products, including petroleum based). If you glob on the vaseline of course it's going to melt (for lack of a better term). Using a petroleum based product has no effect on how much ink will fall out of a tattoo, your skin is what decides what stays and what goes.

Some areas of my body hold ink really well and others not so much. I have always used petroleum based products and it has never caused any ink to fall out.

Try it, you'll like it.

Edited by AltheaRose - May/09/2009 at 2:08am
IP IP Logged
manicpanic
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 21

Quote manicpanic Replybullet Posted: May/09/2009 at 3:37am
I only use Lubriderm and it's all good in the hood after that! 
IP IP Logged
mrDahmer
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote mrDahmer Replybullet Posted: May/09/2009 at 4:28am
To Althearose

Cheers, I think i'll stick to bepanthem because it's always worked really well for me, but I'll keep the petrolium stuff in mind :)
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version