<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Tattoo Experiences
 BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Tattoo Experiences
Message Icon Topic: Healing tattoos... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Poll Question: How do you heal your tattoos?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [55.88%]
9 [26.47%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

you-fail-me
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 30

Quote you-fail-me Replybullet Posted: March/18/2009 at 6:16pm
Bepanthen all the way.
IP IP Logged
AltheaRose
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 47

Quote AltheaRose Replybullet Posted: March/18/2009 at 7:31pm
Combination of bacitracin, vaseline, and A & D.
Then Aveeno or Lubriderm lotions.
Then aloe.
Works like a charm.

Oh,

Originally posted by felonious drunk

The only people that disagree with this is hippies.
My girlfriend's mom just used cocoa butter the whole time.
(which really isn't a bad idea, much simpler)

Not cocoa butter, coconut oil.

And,

Originally posted by mrDahmer

Doesn't petroleum based products draw ink out? Which is why you can get spots of faded colour. Thats what I've been told anyway, could be wrong.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Edited by AltheaRose - March/18/2009 at 7:34pm
IP IP Logged
pierced_kitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote pierced_kitten Replybullet Posted: March/18/2009 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by thesounknown

I use A & D for the first couple days then an un-fragranced lotion for the rest of the time.
Dunno if that's the best thing to be doing but that's what I do :)

thats what I did too!  Worked a charm.  =)

Cetaphil is my lotion of choice.
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: March/19/2009 at 8:32am
I've fallen in love with Tattoo Goo.  Normally I don't recommend products marketed for tattoo or piercing healing, I think they are highly overrated most of the time and way too expensive.  But Tattoo Goo works really well for me.  Lotion only does not keep my tattoo moist enough, and I usually develop thick scabs that leave big blotches when they fall off.  I used to use A & D, but in some areas of my body it would cause bad breakouts regardless of how thin of a layer I used.  The tattoo goo gives it the extra moisture I need, without causing breakouts, and I only peel a thin layer of skin during healing.

Edited by Carrie_p2005 - March/19/2009 at 8:33am
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: March/19/2009 at 9:06am
carrie, have you tried aquiphor? I recommend it to all my clients, even to the point of giving it to them in aftercare kits (easiest way to make someone follow my aftercare advice lol).

a very thin coating is enough for a couple of hours, and it doesn't have all the extra crap tattoo goo has. PLus, a tube of it is cheaper in the long run. $8.50 for 1.5 oz?? Fuck that, you can get a tub of aquiphor big enough for your entire body for that much.
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
felonious drunk
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 78

Quote felonious drunk Replybullet Posted: March/19/2009 at 9:14am
I used tattoo goo once, and it fucking hurt!
I like that it has beeswax in it.
So I thought that it would great, but it stung (sometimes I'm a sissy)
Petroleum is good for me, but I do prefer it thickened with beeswax.

This might sound stupid, like when grandma tells you to put butter on a burn,
But I like to mix murphy's hair wax with vaseline and heat it in the microwave.
I stir it, let it cool, and put a thin coat on.

Yeah, sounds stupid... but there's more.

I moisturize it with glycerin, K-Y, or surgi-lube.
But really, I like straight glycerin.

Now you can rip that apart if you'ld like.

Edit:
Aquiphor, I must try it!

Edited by felonious drunk - March/19/2009 at 9:15am
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: March/19/2009 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by xevious

carrie, have you tried aquiphor? I recommend it to all my clients, even to the point of giving it to them in aftercare kits (easiest way to make someone follow my aftercare advice lol).

a very thin coating is enough for a couple of hours, and it doesn't have all the extra crap tattoo goo has. PLus, a tube of it is cheaper in the long run. $8.50 for 1.5 oz?? Fuck that, you can get a tub of aquiphor big enough for your entire body for that much.

No I've never tried Aquaphor.  Anything I use that's made by Eucerin burns like a mother, even on intact skin.  Plus it contains Lanolin.  We've had a number of clients react to that ingredient.  We actually switched the brand of A & D he used when tattooing because it contained lanolin, and a number of clients developed mild rashes when they never had before.  Since switching the number of rashes has dropped to only once in while.  I remember reading somewhere that approximately 30 % of the population is sensitive to lanolin, so I don't recommend any products that contain it.

I buy Tattoo Goo wholesale, not retail.  We buy the .33 ounce tins to sell.  They only cost us $1.39 per tin, and I've used the same tin to heal 2 large tattoos, with over half of it still left.  We sell those for $3 a tin, so it works out well for people who only get tattoos once in a while.  They spend $3 for aftercare versus going to the store and spending $8 on a bottle of lotion.  And for those that get tattooed often, it will last through at least 3 or 4 tattoos, maybe more depending on size.  Another thing I like about Tattoo Goo is it is impossible to over-apply.  Some people will goop on whatever product they are using regardless of how much you stress "only a thin layer".  And then they come whining to you when their tattoo looks like shit.

I like all the stuff in Tattoo Goo.  Olive oil, cocoa butter, wheat germ oil, sunflower oil, vitamin E, and lavender oil are all emollients that help the skin retain moisture.  Lavender oil also has antiseptic properties and is soothes skin irritation (it's good for sunburns).  Sunflower oil also provides a protective barrier that is somewhat infection resistant.  It's been used for years on premature babies to protect their skin from infections that are related to underdeveloped skin.

Edited by Carrie_p2005 - March/19/2009 at 12:32pm
IP IP Logged
jim01
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 29

Quote jim01 Replybullet Posted: March/20/2009 at 1:31am
 lubriderm thats all i have ever used i have 1 artist who uses a&d but i wash it of as soon as i can i just don't care for thick ointments had some bad scabing and cracking with it.
IP IP Logged
LipsticStardust
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 57

Quote LipsticStardust Replybullet Posted: March/20/2009 at 1:41am
Aveeno lotion to combat the itchies.
IP IP Logged
Lunch_Box_Ink
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 88

Quote Lunch_Box_Ink Replybullet Posted: March/20/2009 at 2:31am
Originally posted by mrDahmer

Doesn't petroleum based products draw ink out? Which is why you can get spots of faded colour. Thats what I've been told anyway, could be wrong.

E45 or Vaseline moisturiser is really good for keeping the tatts going bright after they've healed.

If used incorrectly(to much to often, keeping the tattoo wet) then yes they  definetly can.  but if you use only the smallest ammount nessesery and only when nessesery they can work great.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version