BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Retiring Piercings Post Reply Post New Topic
kt444
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote kt444 Replybullet Topic: Retiring Piercings
    Posted: March/01/2009 at 7:17pm
I had an 18g nostril piercing for about six months, and recently retired it. The hole closed within a day leaving almost no evidence that there was ever a piercing. I barely have a scar.

Now I'm thinking of getting either a labret at one side of my lower lip, a madonna, or an eyebrow piercing.

Does anyone know how these piercings heal? For instance, if I were to keep one of them for a year and then retire the piercing, would the hole eventually close? My nostril closed very easily, but I had it for a relatively short time and it was cartilage.

Thanks!
IP IP Logged
colderyourtouch
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote colderyourtouch Replybullet Posted: March/01/2009 at 7:39pm
i've had my marilyn for about two years and it threatens to close up within 15 minutes of taking the jewellery out, the scarring on the upper lip is also much more noticeable than the lower lip
as for the eyebrow, i have a friend who has had both sides done and retired both. one was taken out voluntarily and there is no visible scar, but the other had begun rejecting and there is a semi-visible scar
IP IP Logged
Cerkitboard
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 52

Quote Cerkitboard Replybullet Posted: March/01/2009 at 7:44pm
It's all dependent on your body really.

I still have 2 very noticeable holes in my top and bottom lip from a retired lowbret and a retired medusa. Whereas, my eyebrow is barely noticeable at all. Some of my piercings can be left out for days and not close up, while my right lip piercing closes within a few MINUTES.

As I said, it's really a matter of how your body handles it.
CerkitBoard
IP IP Logged
pierceit2
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote pierceit2 Replybullet Posted: March/01/2009 at 8:36pm
I had to retire 14 of my piercings 6 months ago, because of day surgery. Most of them became scares, really define scares, but there hidden so its not to bad.
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 59

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: March/01/2009 at 10:44pm
oral piercings close VERY quickly. there might be a scar, but it will most likely close

Edited by ihaveonlyme - March/01/2009 at 10:44pm
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
felonious drunk
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 78

Quote felonious drunk Replybullet Posted: March/01/2009 at 11:10pm
You probably wont have this problem,
but me piercings never seem to close,
unless I purposely irritate them.
IP IP Logged
AltheaRose
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 47

Quote AltheaRose Replybullet Posted: March/02/2009 at 12:05am
Like everyone's said -- every body is different.

I can leave my monroe and lip piercings (except the two new ones) out for days and they won't close (I've also had them all for at least 3-6 years).

If I were to let them close up I would definitely have a noticeably visible scar where the monroe is.

One of my eyebrows got ripped out years back and I have an awful scar there -- also my eyebrow has never grown back the same since then, but the piercing I got right next to it would most likely not show if I were to take it out.

I say if you want a piercing that wouldn't really show after taking it out, to go with the eyebrow. Or a lip piercing that's practically on your lip line so it wouldn't be noticeable (: Good luck !

IP IP Logged
TCJ08
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 23

Quote TCJ08 Replybullet Posted: March/02/2009 at 1:51am

I had my labret pierced for about 6 months then retired it and i still have a big indent in my lip where it was and i took it out a year and a half ago. i also had snakebites but the right side was croked and bothering be so i took it out. i had it pierced only for about 3 weeks and there is still a scar from that as well and it was removed about 4 months ago. i have had SEVERAL other lip piercings that havent even left a tiny mark...so it really depends.

My eyebrow wont close up for anything ive had that for about 2 1/2 to 3 years... and its not very noticable when i take it out now so i doubt the scar would be very noticable..

hope this helps.
good luck!
"Don't Be A Waste of Skin"

IP IP Logged
wabisabi
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote wabisabi Replybullet Posted: March/02/2009 at 2:54am
Piercings in the lip area seem to threaten to close no matter how long you've had them in, and very quickly. In terms of scarring - everyone's different and I would look at your old piercing to determine how you scar. In my opinion I wouldn't get a smaller gauge, I'd actually go for 14 or 16 if you must, as if these migrate, the scarring is a hell of a lot worse. Actually, depending on your anatomy and placement, a scar might not be noticeable at all; for me, my lower lip conceals the spot where my labret's pierced and you couldn't see the scar at all.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version