BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Tattoo Experiences
Message Icon Topic: *Ahem* A rant. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Terri-Sian
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 50

Quote Terri-Sian Replybullet Posted: July/06/2009 at 10:38am
we pay £25 an hour with a close friend but that's completely different. as matt said in brighton we pay about £80 per hour
"I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times hard to handle... But if you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!"

- Marilyn Monroe
IP IP Logged
sapphirelazuli
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 122

Quote sapphirelazuli Replybullet Posted: July/07/2009 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Terri-Sian

we pay £25 an hour with a close friend but that's completely different. as matt said in brighton we pay about £80 per hour

Mates rates are different greytongue
[ zara | 25 years old | scottish | body piercer ]
IP IP Logged
goatrider
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote goatrider Replybullet Posted: August/14/2009 at 8:52am
guy i work with has some old faded blobs on his arms from who knows when, and when the whole thing went down about my tattoo being offensive, he showed me his and i wanted to say "man was that done with a razor and a bic pen or what?" but i refrained... you get what you pay for, and FOCK the jerkoffs

skincrayon said "i guess the girls ive been with have either been really clean or maybe so dirty they are immune to infection."

IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 74

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: October/25/2009 at 7:56pm
A few weeks ago I was in my mate's shop. A guy came in with a large poster.

Customer: How much for this as a full back piece?
Martin: That is going to be a big project, full colour and very highly detailed. I'd normally quote over £2000 for that but as this will be an interesting piece to do I'll do it for £1500.
Customer: That is a rip-off. I could get it done in Leeds for much less.
Martin: Good luck with that then.

A week later I was in the shop again (I am in there a lot) and the same guy comes in again...

Customer: I came in the other day and you quoted me £1500 for a back piece. I went to Leeds and could not find anyone who would do it for less.
Martin: How much was the nearest price?
Customer: One place would do it for £2500. I want you to do it.
Martin: Sorry but you said my rates were a rip off so you had better go back to the place that quoted £2500.
Customer: You are going to lose £1500 of business.
Martin: No, YOU have lost £1000 by insulting my prices. This shop is busy because we do excellent work at very reasonable rates so I am not losing anything. 

"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
jakethejake
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote jakethejake Replybullet Posted: February/16/2010 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Victimink

Bang%20Head A little anecdote about an incident at the shop a few nights ago, enjoy!

Me: Hey guys, how can I help you?

Dumb Cunt: I have this tattoo (shows me crayola crack tattoo) and I wanna get it redone, it just needs color.

M: It looks like it needs more, umm, I don't do reworks sweetie, I can however offer to show you to another artist who will or show you a possible cover up.

DC: Oh I don't want it covered up, could you just recolor it?

M: No, I don't do reworks for two reasons, 1. It's an artist quirk of mine, if someone else reworked my tattoo without my consent, I'd be upset, and (after she said she got it out of her ex's house which is who did it, I explained that...) 2. Someone else's fuck up is not my responsibility.

DC: You can't just recolor it, it's a simple design?

M: No, I'm sorry, I can help you with finding an artist who will though.
DC: No, I wanna get it done tonight, and now.

M: I'm sorry I can't help you at this point.

DC: Whatever, we had money you just lost out on it.

I don't mean to pick apart your post.  But you would really expect someone who got a tattoo from you to ask your consent to get it reworked?

you did the work.. but it's their tattoo..

I just really was confused by that part.

but!

to the rest I believe you handled it as well as you could of.  If you don't do reworks you have your reasons.. and as an artist you have the right to not work on something that you dont want to. 

you offered her other options.. which is more than you even had too... most artists would have just said no and deaded it there.. so she should be greatful you even offered to help her find another artist.
IP IP Logged
Victimink
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 57

Quote Victimink Replybullet Posted: February/16/2010 at 8:15pm
I never said I expected them to, but if it was a close client and it was a piece I was really proud of, yeah I'd be a little upset, I'm sorry, I still believe in common courtesies.
It's just time, you know they'll make more of it.
IP IP Logged
Saint Tigeress
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote Saint Tigeress Replybullet Posted: September/30/2010 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Keiran1980

A few weeks ago I was in my mate's shop. A guy came in with a large poster.

Customer: How much for this as a full back piece?

Martin: That is going to be a big project, full colour and very highly detailed. I'd normally quote over £2000 for that but as this will be an interesting piece to do I'll do it for £1500.

Customer: That is a rip-off. I could get it done in Leeds for much less.

Martin: Good luck with that then.

A week later I was in the shop again (I am in there a lot) and the same guy comes in again...

Customer: I came in the other day and you quoted me £1500 for a back piece. I went to Leeds and could not find anyone who would do it for less.

Martin: How much was the nearest price?

Customer: One place would do it for £2500. I want you to do it.

Martin: Sorry but you said my rates were a rip off so you had better go back to the place that quoted £2500.

Customer: You are going to lose £1500 of business.

Martin: No, YOU have lost £1000 by insulting my prices. This shop is busy because we do excellent work at very reasonable rates so I am not losing anything. 

Oh my gawd that is effing awesome! That's great that people can be taught lessons sometimes.

When I decided I wanted to add to myself I did it right the second time. I hunted around the general area until I found an artist who's work I loved. It was just a perk that he seemed like a cool guy from his profile as well. I saw that he charges $100 an hour and I was like

but he was awesome and I loved his work. I figure I am placing permanent artwork on myself so I want it to be well done. I just save the money for it, and I tip him well too. His energy is just as addicting as the tatts, so his work is well worth it. I just hope he doesn't think I'm a freak for being so friendly. I understand what it's like to live off of tips and work with the public, so I go out of my way to be the opposite of the idiot douche waffles I have to deal with every day.

I have had an artist retouch my first tatt to add color... but he offered. lol.

Honestly, I didn't think about the implications of it making an artist look bad to retouch a crappy tatt. Mine wasn't really crappy though. lol. I wasn't close to the original artist either... he was a random pick. I'm closer to the guy that retouched it.

Edited by Saint Tigeress - September/30/2010 at 6:35pm
IP IP Logged
Aya McCabre
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote Aya McCabre Replybullet Posted: October/01/2010 at 9:25pm
I'm expecting my regular shop to get bussier now that there's a new hack in town. I don't deny that he's tallented but he works drunk without an outline. I'm guessing I'll hear a lot of complaints about another shop in town where the owner is.... Unplesant..... And the customers will expect him to match the $60 they paid for the sleeve in the first place. Hopefully they'll learn their lesson.
Time is on my side she said.
He may be on your side I said, but it makes no difference in the end,
He's coming after you my friend.......
IP IP Logged
holelottalove
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 7

Quote holelottalove Replybullet Posted: October/02/2010 at 7:45am
Ah, I had a customer yesterday, came to get her tragus pierced. Her earlobes were the only piercings she'd had before. Anyway, the deed was done, no problems, and she said she was really happy with it. Only as she was walking off up the street (advantages of open windows) did I hear her say to her mate "oh my god, that guy must be a really shit piercer, because that hurt loads more than my ear lobes and everyone says it's supposed to hurt less". Unfounded accusation or not, adverse comments always put a downer on my day Frown
IP IP Logged
Saint Tigeress
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote Saint Tigeress Replybullet Posted: October/03/2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by holelottalove

Ah, I had a customer yesterday, came to get her tragus pierced. Her earlobes were the only piercings she'd had before. Anyway, the deed was done, no problems, and she said she was really happy with it. Only as she was walking off up the street (advantages of open windows) did I hear her say to her mate "oh my god, that guy must be a really shit piercer, because that hurt loads more than my ear lobes and everyone says it's supposed to hurt less". Unfounded accusation or not, adverse comments always put a downer on my day Frown

Aw... that's shitty of her to say. Everyones body feels pain in different areas differently. My friends told me that the tramp stamp location doesn't hurt at all. That tat hurt like hell! No fault of the artist. Then, my artist told me that the flower running around my neck was going to be pretty painful. It um... felt kinda good. No pain at all. Don't worry about it. She'll figure it out as she gets more things done.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version