Page  of 2 Next >>
chromee
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote chromee Replybullet Topic: Help With Unhappy Vertical Labret
    Posted: February/04/2009 at 11:27am
Hi

I've had the vertical labret for about 2 years. I've always been very careful with it. It healed beautifully. I had no problems until Sunday evening when my !%$# bf decided it'd be a great idea to suck in my bottom lip and chew on it (along with the piercing). Before I could stop him, the entire bottom lip hurt and was really sore esp around the barbell but there was no swelling and it seemed ok. Monday it still felt sore and painful but still no swelling. I kept it clean and soaked it in a sea salt solution. When I woke up Tuesday, it was swollen and had a tiny little bit of crustiness. I cleaned it again with multiple salt soaks and used some ice to bring down the swelling. Today is Wednesday and it's still swollen and I am still using salt soaks and ice and antibacterial soap for the lip. It doesn't seem to be doing any better.
I am very paranoid because, other than when I just got it done, I've never had it in this state.
Should I go see my piercer or just continue what I am doing? Is it normal that the swelling hasn't gone down yet? Are there complications that can easily result from this?
Any extra advice?
IP IP Logged
cindica
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote cindica Replybullet Posted: February/04/2009 at 2:41pm
Do you have the original barbell you were pierced with?(in the hopes it was longer) if not, I'd say go up a size in the length(depending on the swelling) and do your sss mildly and just leave it alone so it can relax and heal. oh, and lay off the antibacterial soap unless its a quick clean. It may work against you.

And make sure the bar is clean!! If you're shoving crusties through the hole. then you're definitely not gonna heal

Edited by cindica - February/04/2009 at 2:44pm
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: February/04/2009 at 3:06pm
I definitely suggest longer jewelry. Also, how are you doing your soaks and how often? The salt to water ratio should be 1/8 teaspoon in 8 oz of warm distilled water, and you should soak for three to five minutes at a time, no more than three times a day. Overcleaning can cause prolonged irritation. Avoid the anti-bacterial soap more than once a day as it can dry out the piercing and cause more irritation. Don't move the jewelry around much either. It may be best to just clean it and leave it alone.

But I definitely suggest seeing your piercer for a longer bar to accomodate for your swelling.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
sweetiehoneybab
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 36

Quote sweetiehoneybab Replybullet Posted: February/04/2009 at 3:13pm
^^ v.good advice cale. :)

i have the same issues, my bf bites mine (i have 3) if they swell or get sore i just sss and leave them the hell alone, the more you mess with them the longer they will take to settle down.
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: February/04/2009 at 5:43pm
It could take up to a week or two for the swelling to go away.  Baby it with some sea salt soaks 2-3 times per day, and leave it alone otherwise.  I would not recommend antibacterial soap at all, it is likely causing irritation and prolonging your swelling and tenderness.
IP IP Logged
chromee
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote chromee Replybullet Posted: February/04/2009 at 10:14pm
Thank you guys! I feel better from your feedback. Actually the swelling has gone down since yesterday/this morning. I am definitely going to lay off the antibacterial soap other than after certain meals. I do tend to over clean =/ and soak my lip too much. I am cutting down on that and just keeping it clean and wiggling it less.
The bar I have in has wiggle room even with the swollen lip so I think it's ok but I will go pop by my piercer to check in.

*goes to play some scrabble to avoid playing with it*

Thanks again
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: February/05/2009 at 10:57pm
I don't know what you mean by "after certain meals", but you should only really use it in the shower. After meals, you should be cleaning it with sea salt. I don't think there is anything wrong with minor use of anti-bacterial or anti-microbial soap, and irritation is generally caused from overuse, not just use. More than once a day to once every other day can dry out your piercing.

It's obvious at this point that the problem is overcleaning with sea salt soaks and playing with it. I hope it gets better for you! :)
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
chromee
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote chromee Replybullet Posted: February/08/2009 at 12:47pm
Ugh it seemed it was getting better until last night. It started with throbbing pain and I woke up this morning to a swollen, unhappy lip. I accidentally hit myself during sleep and woke up. I don't know if the swelling is because of that but I don't want to risk anything going terribly wrong. There is still pus coming out.
I am trying to arrange a meeting with the doc for some antibiotics.
I am not sure what to do but I am scared =(
IP IP Logged
chromee
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote chromee Replybullet Posted: February/08/2009 at 6:55pm
yet another update:
After seeing a doc I got told it is infected and they tried to take it off. Didn't work, so I have to get it taken off by the piercer tomorrow. I got antibiotics and lots of pain.

This sucks.
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: February/09/2009 at 2:58am
Don't take the jewelry out!  Not only can your piercing be saved, but you could also end up with more problems that you have right now if the holes close over while you have an infection (abscess anyone?).
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version