<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
Message Icon Topic: Anesthetic use in body modification Post Reply Post New Topic
Poll Question: Do you feel anesthetic use is "cheating"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [11.11%]
4 [44.44%]
2 [22.22%]
2 [22.22%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Topic: Anesthetic use in body modification
    Posted: November/15/2004 at 2:07am
While reviewing a submitted experience on BME (can't provide a link because it hasn't been approved yet) concerning anesthetic use, I was forced to confront my own bias on the topic.
This is my stance on the subject. Let me start off by saying that I would never interfere in anyone's right to manage their experience where body modification is concerned. I feel that if you see no benifit to the pain factor of modification, you certainly have every right to minimize your discomfort to achieve your own ends.
I personally only used anesthetics for self performed extreme modifications, particularly blade scarification. Not every time, but occationally, where the spots were particularly tender (inner thigh), and pain level was high enough that I worried about blacking out.  I felt that pain was part of it, so deal, plain and simple. That stance changed 3 weeks ago. This was my situation. I sat down to a 6 hour session. 3 hours into it, the artist was forced to break for almost 3 hours. When we were able to resume, my leg was very tender from the previous 3 hour session, as you can imagine. The convention, for which this piece was my boss's color catagory entry for the year, was only 2 weeks away. No way to pick up later, and be healed by the show. Soooo....EMLA cream to the rescue. It made the next 3 hours bearable. It still hurt mind you, topicals are not magic. Penetration is shallow and set times are long, making it tough to use in a busy shop enviroment but it definitely took the edge off. I still take pride in the pain side of body modification and see it as in important aspect of the process, however I am forced to aknowledge that at times even I need a break.
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
4U2NV
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote 4U2NV Replybullet Posted: November/15/2004 at 12:30pm

I don't think using anaesthetic is cheating in the slightest.
For instance, I love the look of scarification, branding, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'd like the pain that comes with getting it.  Unfortunately they go hand in hand!
It's completely up to the individual whether they want to use it or not, and I agree with you Montana, that it is probably best for heavier mods!
As you said, everyone has the right to minimize discomfort to achieve your own ends.
Just because you want to use anaesthetic it doesn't make you a wimp!  In contrast to popular belief.

There's nothing more beautiful than beauty disfigured.
IP IP Logged
zuul
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 0

Quote zuul Replybullet Posted: November/15/2004 at 1:06pm
i sat through my chest and neck first sittings of each, and i plan on using emla to finish. i earned them, so to speak, now i want it finished. for heavier stuff, like implants in particular, i only know a handful that will endure w/out some help. personally, i'm a big baby. i believe the pain is an important art of the process, but it should be bearable.
IP IP Logged
t3chDzyn
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 16

Quote t3chDzyn Replybullet Posted: November/16/2004 at 12:31am

I think in your specific case it is acceptable.  You were working against time in a very soft spot, at a longer stretch of time than I am used to.  I have done at most 3 1/2 hours in one sitting with a couple smoke breaks not included in that time.  I think at most I could push 4 hours total, but damn, that would suck.  I would have to say that if you want the piece, you gotta pay the price.  I big part of all the mods I have and will have is the pain that comes with it.  A right of passage so to speak.

Not only does my ink tell a story about me, it also speaks of the pain I went through to get it, therefore to intensify the meaning that goes with them, you know the pain I had to go through to get this.  I feel that if anesthetics become a major part of modding, we are going to see tattoos becoming the next naval piercing.  I can't even begin to count the number of people I know that would love a tattoo but are terrified of the pain.  There are at least a dozen girls I work with with a naval ring that cringe at the thought of a tattoo just because of the pain, but always wanna get a tattoo that Britney Spears has or someone famous.  Which will later on down the road probably lead to other problems such as lawsuits being filed through loopholes saying they were not in their correct mind when getting the procdedure done. 

Whoa, that was a pretty long rant, so in the end, on a regular basis, I say no anesthetics.

IP IP Logged
Steefepeef
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Steefepeef Replybullet Posted: November/18/2004 at 2:28pm
Hmm... From my point of view NOW [as in: No 'real' mods yet] I don't think it is cheating. I mean, not really. If it's placed on a very sensitive spot, I think it's okay to use anesthetics. The pain that comes with it, ofcourse, will give you [probably] a better way of satisfaction, because you know that you have 'suffered' for it and what you have been through while getting it. But if you use anesthetics, the pain can be more tolerable. I don't think this will affect the personal view on your mod ... Hmm ...
IP IP Logged
DC0-1
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote DC0-1 Replybullet Posted: November/22/2004 at 5:43pm

In certain cases i think its fine... But i believe theres more value to the piece when there was pain... Its not something everyone does.. Sorta like a badge... This is what i went through and look a i have a shiny piece of metal as a reward...

IP IP Logged
shadokastr
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote shadokastr Replybullet Posted: December/05/2004 at 1:01pm

an interesting question as i just had to ask myself this.  A friend who is a med technitian offered me lydacane for scarification.  The conclusion i came to was that the pain is my gague of how badly i want the piece.  I have never been a fan of pain, though i have endured it for several of my pieces.  My brand and a 7 hour session on my spine (only did that once lol) hurt like hell, but the piece was worth it to me.  So while i don't consider it cheating per say, i think the piece would lack something for me if there was no pain.  If i can't handle the pain, then the piece is not that important in my book and does not belong on my body.

PS this is a personal thing only.  If others are ok with it then go big

IP IP Logged
AlphaForce
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote AlphaForce Replybullet Posted: July/25/2014 at 4:02pm
My opinion, pain is like coding a web page by hand. They make tools to code your web page so why can't you use tools to avoid the pain? I'm a big baby and pain is 100% a factor for me I want to avoid. "No Pain, No Gain" is an out dated concept. Those of you who get through the pain are Rock Stars in my opinion but I'm just a little ole' groupie.
IP IP Logged
shawnp5
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote shawnp5 Replybullet Posted: January/28/2015 at 12:29am
I wrote an editorial on this last year- my early piercings were mostly done with anesthetics and I never felt like I didn't 'earn' them. As I get older I find that I'm even less tolerant of the discomfort caused by getting modifications...

http://sacreddebris.com/op-ed-a-lesser-ritual/

Edited by shawnp5 - January/28/2015 at 12:29am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version