Message Icon Topic: New Piercing Cleaning Controversy Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
gvbullock
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 9

Quote gvbullock Replybullet Topic: New Piercing Cleaning Controversy
    Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:03am
So 3 different piercing artists give you three different opinions on cleaning and care of a new piercing!

To soap or not to soap, yes on salt soak, no on salt soak,

yes on poly or neosporen, no on the shit,

Make sure and move the piercing during healing/ don't move it...awwwrg!!

So here is my present situation: several years ago I had a nipple piercing, i did the sea salt soak twice a day, and moved the piercing method as instructed by my piercer...my first one. I had nu clue what was right or wrong so I followed insturctions....it sucked! Didn't work, stayed sore, crusty etc for months. Took almost a full year to really heal fully.

5 days a go, i decide to dive in and get both a frenum and a lorum at the same time. first 4 days all very good. no bleeding, no pain, no leakage to speak of. This time per my piercing artist this time, don't use seat salt soak because it usually doesn't get rinsed out well and it dries out hhe tissues and slows the healing process, just use warm water and a little bit of antibacterial soap, but don't over do it on the soap.   Don't move them around leave them the hell alone. Well to be honest I did disturb the frenum a couple times, just couldn't help messing around a little) hey Im a guy, it's been a week! i was careful and gentle!) any way, no problems with the frenum, looks clean no crusties, doesn't hurt. Day 5 though the lorum suddenly becomes crusty , clceaned it several times in the last 24 hours and it just getting more and more crusty. Stil no pain to speak of, doesn't look swollen or red or infected really, but i'm freaking out about the oozing crusties all of a sudden when the frenum's doing just fine.

SO: do i go buy some sea salt tonight and switch to that and try it? Should I use some neo sporen because maybe it's starting to get infected? Do I just keep up with the warm water, and a little soap, and it'll take care of it self?

Sorry, I feel so stupid all of a sudden!
IP IP Logged
sweetkruelty
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 12

Quote sweetkruelty Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:20am
I wouldnt use sea salt soak on such a sensitive area. It will dry and crystalize in the wound. I suggest you keep doing what you have been doing, maybe not rinsing the lorum so much with the soap, as the soap might have irritated it.
but thats what I would suggest...
But perhaps if it worries you that much you should just go to a clinic near by or back to your artist, have him/her check the piercings out, usually theyll tell you what they believe would be in the best interest for you to do, just whatever you do, do not take the piercings out. if you do, and the lorum is infected(which i doubt, below the belts are the quickest to heal), it could heal up and the infection could get trapped inside due to having no way to flush out, as the hole you had made was that way
Good morning Starshine, the Earth says 'Hello!'
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 59

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:42am
yes sea salt soaks will dry a piercing. that's why you only use 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 4 oz water and not do it all the time. the other day we had a girl at the shop with an industrial. she was doing SSS every day since she got the piercing and it dried it out and was causing it to reject. i would recommend using the SSS 2 times a week. if soap is left in a fresh piercing it can cause problems.

i do  NOT recommend a clinic or hospital. 99% of the time they tell you it's infected and to take it out. even if it's not infected. go see your piercer. if it is infected your piercer will usually tell you to try something else and if that doesn't work you may have to take out the piercing.

over cleaning the piercing will also cause it to dry out. the piercing needs time to heal by itself.

do NOT use neosporin. anything like neosporin, rubbing alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide is bad for the piercing. neosporin does not allow the piercing to breath and heal.

Edited by ihaveonlyme - January/07/2009 at 2:34pm
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
gvbullock
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote gvbullock Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:44am
thanks, yeah there is no way this thing is coming out unless they tie me down and tear it out! I love it too much, just need to make sure I care for it properly so it heels. Maybe I'l call the piecer, the only problem with going in to see him, is his shop is in hawaii and I'm back on the mainland now! I think i'll just try clear water for the next day and see if there are any changes...thx for the hints...I will call him tomorrow, hadn't even thought of that...duh!

Thx again :)
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:47am
since you can't see the piercer go to a local piercer. usually piercers don't have a problem looking at a piercing even if they didn't do it. i'm an apprentice and we've had plenty of people coming in to have piercings looked at that were done at other shops.
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
gvbullock
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote gvbullock Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:49am
thanks, some more good thoughts. It's not really looking or feeling infected yet...at least i don't think so...but its very possible I haven't rinsed the soap out enough and I have been washing three times a day.

I'm definitely going to just rinse it really well and use just water for the next day and see what happens. thx.

Glad you both agreed on the salt....I definitely WON'T do the salt! thx :)
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:54am
no...i said DO the SSS twice a week
IP IP Logged
gvbullock
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote gvbullock Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 2:59am
thats a good idea, just wasn't sure if that was kosher or not...thx
IP IP Logged
gvbullock
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote gvbullock Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 3:01am
oh, SSS means sea salt? kewl, then I'll pick some up...thx
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: January/07/2009 at 3:02am
yep, SSS stands for sea salt soak
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version