BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
Message Icon Topic: "Christian View on Piercing" Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Flogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 22

Quote Flogger Replybullet Posted: December/15/2008 at 3:58am
There are extreme people in all religions and faiths...this guy has nothing to do with christianity, he's just a moron, who happens to be a christian...
IP IP Logged
lil lucifer
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote lil lucifer Replybullet Posted: December/15/2008 at 4:13am
With all the ear ring qoutes I found I cant find the one thing that says  you shouldnt pierce your self. It goes something like , Moses comes down from the mountain and the hebrews had melted down all their earings (gold) to make the bull statue(false idol) and moses says from then on never to wear earings among other things so this couldnt happen again.
With tattoos its only not to tattoo dead relatives which would elude to ansestor worship over god. I think these are from the Torah and not really followed by christians other than the wacko evangalists.
Its all cods wallop anyway. Out of the millions of gods and their different interpretations by humans, Its a folly to subscribe to any of them.
Be true to your self and your loved ones and you cant go wrong.
\m/
Guns are for show, Knives are for a pro!
IP IP Logged
catexelizabeth
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote catexelizabeth Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 4:49am
ridiculous...extremist views never cease to amaze me.
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 10:05am
extremist views are the best, blow up my tv in the name of allah, pelase. i just blew it up in the name of "fuck you" and it didn't acccopmplish anything.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 10:09am
extremist views are the best, blow up my tv in the name of allah, pelase. i just blew it up in the name of "fuck you" and it didn't acccopmplish anything.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
thesounknown
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 40

Quote thesounknown Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 11:42am
Hmm I'm an atheist.  It's much easier.  I don't have to worry about what rules I am supposed to be following. :)
The only thing that bothers me is when people try to use their religion to attack other people like that article is.  I don't even know why they care if other people are wearing demon jewelry or whatever.  No one is forcing them to do it.
Nice to see there are a lot of open minded Christians on this site.  :)
She looks like the real thing.
She tastes like the real thing.
My fake plastic love.
IP IP Logged
bekki659
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote bekki659 Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by lil lucifer

With all the ear ring qoutes I found I cant find the one thing that says  you shouldnt pierce your self. It goes something like , Moses comes down from the mountain and the hebrews had melted down all their earings (gold) to make the bull statue(false idol) and moses says from then on never to wear earings among other things so this couldnt happen again.
With tattoos its only not to tattoo dead relatives which would elude to ansestor worship over god. I think these are from the Torah and not really followed by christians other than the wacko evangalists.
Its all cods wallop anyway. Out of the millions of gods and their different interpretations by humans, Its a folly to subscribe to any of them.
Be true to your self and your loved ones and you cant go wrong.
\m/

I dont know that it was literally supposed to mean "dont pierce yourself".  The bible is often dramatic and if they were to say "take off your earrings, bangles, anklets, jewels, colored cloth and bring them forth" it wouldn't have been as as eloquent.
I haven't ever done much research on this specifically, but I would assume that the culture of the bible was much the same as other places in the world at that time...
And in most all other cultures, heavy earrings made of gold were a sign of respect and status, as well as familial ties and inter familial ranking.
If that was the case, I would think that earrings would have been targeted as a big factor in the creation of the statue, but it would be unrealistic to say that bangles and anklets weren't present as well.
And since the bible nuts only heard earrings... they immediately skip to PIERCINGS = SATAN!

As a Christian myself, I dont take the bible word for word.  You have to keep in mind who wrote it and for what time period, based on what they knew about the world.  Also, it wasnt written to be a manual (imo) for life.  Instead, I see it as a story, written by storytellers.

I'm sure that religious figures also flipped out when women started wearing makeup... but at this point there are very few preacher's wives who would step out of their houses without it.

Edited by bekki659 - December/30/2008 at 2:24pm
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by bekki659

As a Christian myself, I dont take the bible word for word.  You have to keep in mind who wrote it and for what time period, based on what they knew about the world. 

i thought your bible was written by your god?

IP IP Logged
bekki659
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote bekki659 Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by kcir

Originally posted by bekki659

As a Christian myself, I dont take the bible word for word.  You have to keep in mind who wrote it and for what time period, based on what they knew about the world. 

i thought your bible was written by your god?

No, I dont believe that god wrote the bible.  Even if somehow (which I still would doubt) he was speaking directly to the people who were writing it, AS they were writing it, I think there would have been something lost in communication. 
Humans are imperfect creatures, so I wouldn't expect for them to be able to correctly convey God's words.
And then you have the translations into English.

I think its kinda naive to think that every word in the bible is directly from god's mouth... back when I attended a presbyterian church, there was a great sermon on "picking and choosing" from the bible.  There are things in it that I dont think MY God would condone- the loving, caring, forgiving god- things that go against humanity.

And like was said previously, the thing about sacrificing doves every time I start my period?  Yikes... why would god want me to hurt one of his creations?

There are SO so many branches of Christianity.  Some people really do believe each word, some dont.

Not to get off topic anymore, but hopefully that answers your question.

IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: December/30/2008 at 3:13pm
well, the vatican may disagree, but i think it is kindof a silly idea for a supreme deity to write a how-to manual about your everyday life. and to think that it's unlogical to have a vengeful and forgiving god? bah. those numskulls who wrote the qumran scrolls, wow, what asshats, eh?
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version